25.

Winter break was fun but now it's back to business

Winter break was fun but now it's back to business. Coach had us doing drills to prepare for the first game. He's killing me.

"15 suicides boys since some of you aren't paying attention" coach said while looking at Keith.

The entire team groaned. Keith was so busy gawking at Daniela who was practicing cheers on the other side of the gym.

After practice I went to the bookstore to see Zoey. I haven't seen her since Christmas and I need to asks her something.

"Hey Cayman." She smiled when I walked in.

"Hey, happy new year." we hugged and I sat on the counter while she counted the money from the register.

"I have a question to ask you." I said hesitantly.

"I may have an answer."

"The first game of the spring season is tomorrow and it's a tradition for everyone on the team to have a significant other wear their number." I explained. "Since I'm single right now, I was wondering if you'd wear my number. I don't want to break the tradition and be the reason the team loses."

"So you're just going to put the team's fate on my shoulders?" She giggled.

"Please Zoey. You're my best friend and the next best thing to a significant other." I pleaded.

"I guess I can do my friend a favor and take one for the team." She smiled.

I handed her my team jacket and then left.

🌻🌻🌻

I ran out on the court and listened to the crowd sing the school's fight song. I scanned through the stands in search of Zoey. My eyes finally landed on her and her brother. She smiled and waved and I returned the gesture.

"Congratulations Mr. Basketball man." I heard Zoey say from behind me. We won the game and I was talking to some teammates before she came over.

"I mean, you did only win because I wore your jacket." She said in a sly tone.

I pulled her close and have her a hug. I couldn't help myself. She looked good in my jacket.

"Thank you for allowing the team to win." I said and we both laughed.

Keith and Daniela joined us and we all started talking about the game.

"We should take a picture." Daniela said and we all posed.

She took a bunch of pictures until she was satisfied and then everyone went their separate ways.

I watched Zoey as she hopped on the car with Daniela. Why is she so pretty with her thick, curly brown hair with hints of blonde and her smooth milk chocolate skin.