27.

I walked to my car and put all my stuff in the trunk

I walked to my car and put all my stuff in the trunk. I'm about to go to the bookstore to harass Daniela and Zoey since practice got cancelled. Keith is probably already there making Daniela's job difficult. He really cares about her. I think they are soul mates.

"Cayman," a soft voice said behind me.

I turned around and saw Desiree standing in front of me. What now?

When I moved back over the summer, I decided to tryout for basketball and the cheerleaders practiced in the gym too. Me and Desiree clicked almost instantly. I really liked her and I thought she liked me. When the school year started she changed.

"I don't want to talk to you," I said.

"Cayman, I'm sorry. I really care about you and I want to get back together." she pleaded and grabbed my hand.

I looked down at her and let out a small sigh. She doesn't even look like the same girl from the summer. I don't know what happened.

"I don't want to be with you," I pulled my hand away from hers, "you changed and I can't be around someone with negative energy."

Before she could say anything I got into my car and drove off. I started to reminisce about our summer adventures and deep conversations. We had fun together but it's time to move on to better things.

I walked in the store and saw Keith sitting on the counter and Daniela counting money.

"Hey C Man," Daniela said with a smile.

"Hey D Ela," I said back and Keith looked confused, "where's Zoey?" I asked.

"Aww Cayman misses his girlfriend," Daniela and Keith laughed.

I walked away from them. She's not my girlfriend. At least not yet.

I browsed through the store looking for Zoey. I finally found her asleep in a beanbag chair with a book in her hand. I laughed to myself and plopped down next to her. She's so pretty.

I grabbed the book to see what it's about and she immediately jumped out of her sleep. Zoey is weird.

"Give me my book," she reached for it and I stood up and held the book high.

"You weren't even reading it."

She kept jumping to reach the book but I'm to tall. Then she punched me in the armpit and I dropped the book.

"Thanks a lot," she flipped through the book "you made me lose my page."

"You're welcome."

She rolled her eyes and sat back down.

"I was hiding from humans and you interrupted me." 

She never wants to be around people. That's one thing I've learned about her.

"Why do you always avoid interacting with people?" I asked curiously.

"That's a good question that I don't have the answer to." She replies while still reading her book.

We sat in silence and I watched her while she read. She was very intrigued by whatever the book was about. I pulled out my sketchbook and started to doodle her. Her face is so nice.

A few hours later the bookstore closed and we all headed our separate ways.

When I got home I heard my mom crying. She sounded like she was in pain. I ran into her room and she was bent over clutching her stomach.

"The baby is coming."

I grabbed her and helped her down the stairs and into the car. I ran back inside to get her bag and rushed to the hospital.

I'm about to be a big brother. I can't believe it.