Chapter Twenty-Two - Iron Fist

"I thought that went well," said Samantha after everyone was gone.

"Well, except for the part where you made one of their leaders disappear into thin air," said Sonya with something between and grin and a frown. "I don't think they liked that part. Such a display of power... all of it. One big display."

"That was kind of the point, wasn't it?" asked Tyler.

"Yes, I suppose it was. The point came across full force, I would say," replied Sonya with a curve in her lip. "So now what do we do? How long do you think it will be before we hear back?"

"I don't imagine it will take long. There will definitely be some people from each world who will really want to come. We just have to be careful about who comes. We will have to watch them carefully. Some will just be curious. I think the Witchfolk will send some people to test the boundaries. To see how firm we will be with respect to Human treatment. That will be their biggest concern. The Freefolk will also be concerned about Human treatment, but from a slightly... errr...different perspective," Adam gave a slight chuckle, "Both sides will be seeing how badly the Humans can be treated. What an odd situation. We can be sure that both groups will be reporting back to their leaders."

"That's good. We want them to report back. We want them to see where the boundaries are. And we want them to know that noncompliance will not be tolerated. The sooner they realize that, the better," said Tyler.

"While we wait for these developments," Samantha cut in, "we have another matter that does require attention." Everyone turned their attention to Samantha with a question in their eyes. "My mother. I believe we've been travelling for about a week now. I haven't even called her to let her know that I'm okay. She's got to be freaking out by now."

Tyler smiled, "Oh my god. You're right. It's hard to believe what we've done in one week." He shook his head with some wonder. "We're a little off-course."

"Uh, yeah. I think we're supposed to be in Calgary by now, enjoying the Stampede," whimsied Sonya.

"From bungee jumping to bull riding," grinned Samantha.

"Can you imagine?" laughed Sonya.

"It would have been harder for the Darkfolk to steal you away while you were riding a bull," said Tyler.

"Should we make a gateway to the Stampede and snap a few pictures?" asked Sonya.

"Actually, that sounds like it would lighten the mood while we wait to hear from everyone. And it would keep my mom happy when she gets them in her email."

~~

"What do they think they're doing?" demanded a Council Member.

"It's not a terrible idea when it comes right down to it. It's a compromise. It will keep the Darkfolk happy enough to let the Human World exist with some peace for a change," said Jasmine.

"Sacrifice a few for the benefit of many?" another member threw out. "We have stood against that right from the beginning. We've had numerous battles. No innocent should be so used."