Chapter Thirty - Saving the Doomed

"What have you done?" Lilith demanded. Her face was full of fury. Her lips were pinched, her eyes narrowed. She was flushed and slightly shaking. Samantha, for all her toughness in the past couple of weeks, had none left. She covered her face as she started to sob again. She tried to hold it in, but her body would not obey. She was overcome with the horror of what was happening.

"I think she needs a minute," said Tyler, "but I can tell you that we weren't expecting this. They outsmarted us."

"This needs to be dealt with right away," Lilith's voice was raising quickly into an hysterical scream.

"I think we've figured that part out," said Tyler with exasperation.

Adam and Sonya came running towards them. "We think we know what is going on," said Adam.

"They must have attached a tracking spell to their servants," said Sonya, breathing hard. Samantha was gathering her wits. Her sobbing had stopped.

"That means our death toll is going to increase dramatically. We sent three hundred Humans home. They've found about one hundred so far," replied Tyler.

"One hundred? The news just reported fifty!" Samantha exclaimed with shock.

"What are you going to do?" demanded Lilith.

"I can't believe I felt relief at the sight of your face when we go there," said Samantha. "I thought you'd be a reasonable voice. I think you either need to calm down, or leave." Samantha's tear-stained face was serious, but not hateful or angry. She understood how Lilith felt. This unintended disaster was of ... well, it was big.

Lilith turned her gaze to Samantha. Her vacant, panicked eyes slowly became more focused. She shook her head. "Okay," she said. "I think I should stay. We need to keep a united front against the Darkfolk. We should expel those who are still here. Get rid of them all. They are probably all in on it." Her voice was starting to sound stressed again.

"Lilith," said Tyler. He was trying to make his voice sound soothing. "The Freefolk are here. They have done no wrong. We will not pander to guilt by association. We will not. I agree, though, that Darkfolk do not belong here, and Samantha and I have expelled them. Now, we need to figure out how to stop them from killing all of the Humans we've sent back. What have you got for us, Adam? Sonya?"

"We have only just heard the news. We figured out the spell and that's about it."

"Where did we send the Humans to?" asked Tyler.

"Just in Canada," responded Sonya.

"Was there an area more concentrated than another? Perhaps we can send protectors to areas where most of our Humans went," suggested Tyler. "Where have the attacks taken place?" Adam and Sonya both shrugged their shoulders.

"According to the news, the attacks are fairly spread out. Twenty were inToronto. Ten were in Vancouver. Ten were in Edmonton, and Ten were in Ottawa," said Samantha.