Chapter Thirty-One - Damage Control

Samantha hadn't seen Killian because he was back with his people helping them to execute their plan. He smiled at the pun. Execute the plan, by executing the Humans. How fun. He watched with a smile as Keegan stabbed the Human in front of them for the tenth time. The girl fell to the ground in a heap. Blood soaked the ground around her.

"Well done, Keegan. Well done," he said nodding to his friend. "I think you got all of the most painful places with that one."

"It does take practice. You were right about that."

"Yes, well, I think we are about done here," agreed Killian. He looked around at all of the bodies in the area. They'd killed a few extra at this location. He hoped it didn't take away from the news reports. It sounded so good that only the teenaged refugees were being killed. But, he thought, it might be even more horrifying if the families who took them in were killed as well. He nodded to himself. God, they were so good at what they did.

"Yes, no survivors here," said Keegan with a grin.

"You are more bloodthirsty than I ever realized," said Killian.

"I wasn't sure what side you were on, for a while there," said Keegan.

"Well, the heart wants what it wants. And I want Samantha."

"You might get her yet," sneered Keegan.

"I might, you're right. She doesn't need to know my sins. At least not right away." They turned as they heard footsteps behind them.

"She might have an inkling, I'm afraid. She noticed your absence in the World of Light, I think," said Michael.

"What are you doing here," spat Keegan. "I thought you were against this move."

"I thought he was against this move," said Michael, casting a glance towards Killian.

"I thought I was against it, too. At first. Keegan brought me around."

"Nice of you to share. There I was. The schmuck left behind. Thanks for that," said Michael. Michael looked at the devastation that surrounded him. "It looks like a bloody land mine went off here."

"Better than that," grinned Keegan. "We really had a go at them." They heard sirens in the distance. "Someone must have seen... I guess we should go."

"Oh, you don't want to bathe in it all?" asked Michael sarcastically. Keegan glared at him as they created a gateway to the Darkfolk World. Michael laughed as they all walked through.

~~

Lilith wept as she clung to Doug. "How did we not see this coming? It's typical Darkfolk behaviour. I can't believe we thought this might work."

"Now, Lilith. What is life without hope? We have been fighting the Darkfolk for as long as they have existed. Samantha offered a new idea. It absolutely had to be explored."