Chapter Seven - New Beginnings

His Book of Histories was still beside his kitchen table. He bent down, preparing to lug it back to his bedroom. There was a soft knock at the door.

"Tyler?" It was Sam, "Are you ready for the funeral?" He looked down at his dirty T-shirt and jeans.

"Not quite, how long have I got?"

"We should leave in about fifteen minutes."

"Okay."

"Oh! You really aren't ready," she laughed as she walked into the living room. He snapped and the Book of Histories was gone - securely in its rightful place under his bed. He sighed and shook his head trying to remember when they'd gotten to a place in their relationship where they just walked into eachother's apartments. A flood of memories came to him and he smiled. Wow, he and Sam had come a long way! Thank you, Council! They had changed quite a few things about their reality. It must have taken a very large circle to accomplish all of that. They'd invested a lot into Sam.

"I'll just hop into the shower quickly." He ran past her with a quick hug and kiss and turned the shower on. He went through his new memories as the water coursed over his body...

They met when Samantha and her family first got onto the elevator of their apartment building. He'd smiled and said, "Hi! Are you new to town?" Her step-father had glowered at him, but Samantha had smiled back.

"Yeah! Do you live here, too... like, in the apartment building?"

"I'm on the fourteenth floor."

"We're on the twelfth."

"What grade are you in?" Tyler had asked.

"I start tenth grade tomorrow. We just moved from New Zealand."

"You moved from New Zealand to the Northwest Territories? You are in for a real treat this winter!" They all laughed.

"Yes, well, that's why we came in the spring!" said her mother.

"This is spring? There's still snow!" protested Samantha.

"Yeah, but breakup is just around the corner. It'll warm up in no time," grinned Tyler.

"This is us," said Sam's step-father as the elevator doors opened.

"Maybe you could take Sam for a walking tour of the town after dinner tonight?" asked Sam's mother.

"Mom!"

"No, I'd love to," Tyler had said. And he had.

By the end of the night they had been hand in hand as they walked around the very small town. He had shown her where the Northern Store was with Diane's restaurant attached. He'd told her how all the kids go there to eat french fries. Shelaughed when he'd told her how he'd been kicked out when he didn't order anything. He'd shown her the big purple high school with no corners to be seen, at least from the outside. She couldn't believe she'd be going to school there the next day. They'd gotten to know each other pretty well, and although the night had not ended with a kiss, he'd had high hopes.

The next day, he'd stopped by her apartment to walk her to school, even though it was just across the street. She had met Robin in one of her classes and they had gotten along pretty well, but her main focus had been on Tyler. And his main focus had been on her.

As the weeks had gone by, their relationship had grown and they had become inseparable. She never had eyes for anyone but him and it went both ways.

He was amazed at how real all of these memories were, even though none of these events had actually happened. The Council had set up an amazing reality for himself and for Samantha. Life was so much better for Samantha. She'd never dated anyone but Tyler and never had any problems with any of the girls at the school. She was enjoying a new popularity untainted by previous relationships. Tyler was also enjoying new popularity as he got to know the other kids at school better. He was no longer "that kid whose trailer burned down." He was "Samantha's boyfriend." It kind of made him laugh. Way to stand on your own two feet, he thought. But, truthfully, he didn't mind what people called him as long as he could spend time with her.