Chapter Thirty-Two - Into Hiding

The information that Tyler and Samantha had put into the computers of the media organizations in Canada quickly spread around the world. By the next day, every paper and website in the world was running a similar story. They all had pictures as well. Pictures of a gang who were disgruntled with the way refugees were being placed in their country. They had, apparently, met in University but were from different cities. They had planned this attack together. Police had connected the dots with expert precision, working together through a strong, interconnected database. The suspects were still at large. Three days had passed now since three-hundred innocent teenagers had been viciously slain across the country.

Giddy with excitement for the chaos that was sure to follow the plan, the Darkfolk who had been expelled from the World of Light had come through a gateway to witness first hand the fruits of their labour. They laughed and pushed each other as they walked into a small empty pub in Toronto. They filled the space quite quickly and the serving staff fell into quick movements as they got the group drinks and snacks.

Killian, Keegan and Michael took seats at the bar and looked up to the TV screen. The bartender had the news playing, just as they'd hoped. They smiled at one another as they looked up at the pictures of the victims being flashed across the screen. They were impressed that the media actually showed some of the bodies. Their victims. They relished the memories they had of brutalizing those bodies.

Suddenly Keegan's face flashed on the television screen. The three of them stopped their whispered laughs. They looked at each other and then looked around the bar. The other Darkfolk had also gone quiet. They looked at the television screen nervously. Slowly, a long scroll of pictures and names started to go across the screen. All of the their pictures. They had all been identified, if this news was to be believed.

"I don't see your pictures," Keegan said angrily.

"I guess she doesn't know that we were a part of it as well," gathered Killian.

"Well, aren't you lucky. What are we all supposed to do? Our faces are going to be quite recognizable," whispered Keegan furiously as he gestured to the other Darkfolk. His eyes darted around the bar. The serving staff had started to look around nervously at the group of people in their establishment. Some of them danced from one foot to the next. "We need to kill them all. Look at them. They're going to report us."

"We can always just cast a spell and leave," suggested Michael.

"No," said Keegan with a wild wave of his hand. He muttered spells quickly under his breath. Michael closed his eyes with mild disgust as one of the servers fell to the floor, grasping at her throat.

"Is that really necessary?" asked Michael.

"It is now," grinned Keegan. "Let's get rid of these witnesses, Freefolk!" he yelled to his friends. They nodded in unison. It was not long before the bodies of the bar employees lay lifeless on the floor.

"What, did they all have heart attacks?" asked Killian. "Could you be more discreet next time? You think anyone is going to believe all of these people had heart attacks? Geez."

"Does it really matter?" asked Keegan. "Our faces are already out there. We can't stay in the this World without killing everyone that recognizes us. Either we leave or prepare to kill many more where these came from."