Chapter Two - Bloody Shower... Rough Morning

She woke up to her alarm clock playing a pumping rhythm. "Yo! Pump up the jam, pump it up

while your feet are stompin'..." She turned it off and stumbled to the bathroom for her shower. She could hear her parents fighting in their own bedroom down the hall. She couldn't hear their words, but she could hear the muffled sound of heated discussion. Then the familiar crack of a hand across a face. The wretched inhale of breath followed by a silent shuddering cry.

She quickly  ducked into the bathroom and closed the door with well practised silence. She turned on the water full blast. As hot as it would go. She locked the bathroom door and got under the water, which wasn't hot enough to match her blood. Her blood boiled as her mother's silent cry replayed in her head. She was such a coward. Why did she hide? Why didn't she run in to save her mother? Why did she feel so helpless?

As she shampooed her hair, she let her imagination replay the recurring fantasy of her step-father's death. Her hands gripped her hair as she lathered the soap and she imagined the steely feel of a knife in her hand. As she applied the conditioner, she felt her hands go slick with his blood. As she lathered the soap over her body, she imagined the stabbing knife plunge repeatedly into his body. She felt the water cascade down her body and it was his blood.

She jumped as someone pounded on the door. "Hurry up and get out!" She glared at the shower curtain that blocked the door, which in turn blocked the face she'd like the hit with reckless violence.

"Yep!" She cringed at her weak, spineless reply. She quickly finished rinsing and shut the water off. She towelled dry and threw her housecoat over her body. She took a deep breath before she opened the door.

"It's about freaking time," he leered at her as she made her way to her bedroom. She dodged his outstretched hand with movements so familiar to her that her muscles worked without any effort at all. Always dodging those grasping hands. She felt every muscle in her body tense as she closed her bedroom door. She sighed with some relief as a wave of gratitude washed through her body. Somebody had thought to put a lock on this bedroom door and her lips went thin as she turned it. Safe. At least on some level.

Yeah, she thought, she might be too good for Tyler on paper. But, in truth, her family belonged in any crappy trailer park more than his did.

~~

The morning was full of longing looks and tender smiles as she and Tyler made coy throughout their classes. They had every morning class together, though they sat across the room from one another in most cases. Now she sat in the cafeteria with her friend and stared at him. He was goofing around with some guys on the soccer team. She could see him laughing as his friend threw a french fry across the table.

"What are you looking at? Stop it. I'm telling you a joke!" Robin kicked her under the table. Robin narrowed her eyes and huffed a little bit.

"Sorry, Robin, I was just fantasizing." She looked down at her food for a moment and then back up at her friend.

"Oh my god, who are you looking at? Donny? Tristan? Who've you got your eye on now, Samantha? Honest to god, you need to slow down!"

"I know."

"Seriously."

"I know."

Robin had immediately become a friend when she arrived to town. Her parents were the landlords of their apartment building and Robin was pretty much the first person she'd met upon arriving. Their friendship had been fast, if not firm. "You can't just kiss everything that moves, for god's sake!" The comment took Samantha aback.