Her Mother is Dying

Sorry, I know I haven't been doing Wylan or Nina recently but I thought you might want to see a thing from Evalin's perspective...

(That night, at Evalin's apartment)

Evalin looked down at her phone, thumb poised above Kaz's contact as she stirred her pasta heating up in the pan.  Finally she clicked the button, putting the phone to her ear.

"Kaz Brekker."

"Kaz.  It's Evalin, I was just making sure we're still on for Thursday night?" she asked, rolling to eyes to herself, what a stupid question.  

"Yeah.  Oh, Ev, did you get in trouble today?  Anyone catch you being gone?" Kaz questioned, and she heard the joke in his voice.

"No.  And I'm slightly offended!  No one noticed I was gone!" she huffed, using her shoulder to keep her phone against her ear and tipping the pan against her plate, pouring the pasta onto a plate.  Grabbing her fork and putting the pan back down on the stove she went over to her table.  Kaz snorted.

"I'm glad you didn't get in trouble."  Evalin leaned back in her chair.

"You sound like you want to ask me something."  Kaz was quiet for a moment before saying,

"I didn't go to fast did I?  I normally don't kiss girls on the first date–"

"That was our first date? I thought that was a session."  She could imagine Kaz's carefree shrug.

"Eh, whatever you want to call it."

"Well, I'm fine.  Are you?"

"Yeah."  Evalin was silent and so was he, not knowing what to talk about.  Suddenly Kaz cussed colorfully.

"Damnit Ev, I have to go.  If I'm dead tomorrow, make sure I'm buried with my gloves."  That was all he said before hanging up.  Evalin lowered her phone, slowly taking a bite of pasta, figuring he'd be fine and was just trying to be funny.  She mulled over the day, and wondered what had possessed her to follow him outside the window, and to that meadow.  He could have been taking her to a bar or something.  She was stupid, and naïve.  Evalin shook her head at herself, but Kaz was a good person.  Her phone buzzed and she put it on speaker.

"Hello, this is Cheryl from the hospital.  Are you Dr. Evalin Devyl?" the woman asked kindly.  Evalin stopped chewing, the pasta turning to ash in her mouth.

"Yes."

"Your mother is failing, please come to the hospital as fast as you can, she wants to tell you something."  Evalin thanked the woman, hanging up and running out the door, slamming her door and not even bothering to lock it, forgetting about her pasta and the burner that was on.  Evalin ran down the stairs and jumped in her car.  One thought running through her head.

Her mother was dying.

Hey guys!  Hope you liked this short thing, I know it's super short.  Also, do you want NIna or Wylan next?  Or Kuwei or Heleen?  Anyway, I got to go to bed, please pardon any mistakes!  Comment and vote too!

-MOJ