The Problem with Matthias

Nina woke up to no pain, which was surprising. She was in a hospital bed, and she could feel someone's presence beside her. She turned her head, and saw a shadowy figure.

"Matty?" They reached out a hand but suddenly the door banged open, hurting her ears.

"Nina? Oh, my baby!" exclaimed her mother. Nina snapped her head to the side and looked at her mother, who was rushing over to her.  Nina looked vacantly at her and her mother collapsed onto her knees by Nina's bed, taking one of Nina's bandages hands on her shaky ones.

"Oh baby," sobbed her mother, her eyes roving over the damage done to her.
A doctor followed them into the room, quiet at the foot of Nina's bed.  Her mother's chin wobbled and Nina said evenly,

"It's okay Mom, I'll live."  Her mother unclasped their hands and stroked Nina's hair.  Nina was looking at the door over her shoulder.

"Who are you looking for honey?" 

"Matthias," Nina said simply.  Tears rolled down her mother's cheeks and she looked at the doctor.  The doctor was looking at the charts when he looked up.

"Your daughter has had excessive head trauma, she cannot remember the last six or seven years."  Nina looked at the doctor, a confused look in her eyes.

"Of course I can!"  Her mom whispered quietly,

"What recently happened to Matthias?"  A clouded look came over her features before Nina answered,

"He just had his birthday a few days ago.  And Inej started doing ballet."  Nina's mother shook her head, wiping at her tears.

"Mrs. Zenik, I'm going to have to ask you to leave the room, visiting hours are over." 

"Mom, everything will be fine," reassures Nina as her mother kissed her forehead.

"Of course it is baby."  As her mother and the doctor walked out of the room and before the door closed Nina called out,

"Mom!  Next time you come can you bring Matthias?"  Her mother have her a sad smile before closing the door, and Nina's brow furrowed. 

It seemed something was wrong with Matthias.

——————————————-

Hey guys!  How are y'all doing?  So I just wanted to get this chapter out before school.  Sorry for the lack of detail, it was worse than usual.  Please also pardon any mistakes.  Love you all, please vote and comment!

-MOJ