February 3rd, 2017 (3)

-After School Field Hockey practice-

I was in the girls locker room changing into my field hockey practice clothes. I was so ready for practice today. After what happened in the music room, I felt happy again like I could actually do something instead of constantly looking over my shoulder. Grabbing my stick, mouth guard, eye guard, and shin guards, I walked out the building onto the turf acting as if I owned the place.

The thing that I liked about Field hockey was the coach, the team, and the game. The team actually treated me as if I were family to them. In the corner of my eye, I saw Veronica and her dweebs, Jess and Avery flirting with Tyler and Aaron. Beside Aaron was Max. He seemed as if he did not want to be with them. Max turned around, looked at me and waved. I did the mistake of waving back at him because Veronica scowled at me, but why was I caring about what she would say or do. Like Max said, I should be worrying about me.

Ms. Brogan our coach had made us start running our warm up lap. I liked running because it helped me focus better. I was running with Amber and Lily. We started talking about random stuff like the game that we'll be playing on Friday at Saint Michaels. After the lap, we stretched and got ready for a scrimmage. I was a left back defense and Amber was the right. Lily was the center back defense and for mid-forwards we had Christa, Lia, Becca, and Butch. Then for our forwards we had, Toria, Macy, Justine, and Logan. That's our main team, besides the subs.

The scrimmage was going well. I couldn't help thinking about Max even though I knew we weren't supposed to be thinking about guys. Technically it wasn't my fault, he was sitting on the bleachers and would clap every single time I did good on my position. While I was running, Lily accidently hooked me with her stick. I fell down and landed on the turf. As I got up, I could hear Veronica, her dweebs, Tyler, and Aaron laughing at me. Ms. Brogan jogged over to their little group and was yelling at them to leave and never come back if they were going to disrespect her players.

"Taytum, I'm so sorry for hooking you. That's my fault for causing a scene." Lily walked over to help me up.

"No, no, it's not your fault. I'll be ok. Lets just continue this scrimmage." I picked up my stick and went back to my position.

After practice, I was walking off the turf to say hey to Max when I saw my cousin from Oregon Springfield. Cassidy was a very pretty person with a bright heart. She ran up to me and gave me a bear hug. It was good seeing someone that I actually enjoy being around. Maybe she could help ease some of this pain that has been happening to me.

"Taytum, its sooo good to see you. Looking beautiful like last time I came. Aren't you gonna say anything?" Cassidy narrowed her eyes at me.

"Hmm nope, nothing to say." I smirked.

"Don't play that. I could've came in another three months." She folded her arms.

"I'm just kidding with you. In fact, I have missed you. It's good seeing your face again." My eyes slowly fell to the ground.

I could feel Cassidy's eyes gazing down on me. "Aww babe, is the stuff still going on?"

"Has never ended." I saw Max coming my way. "Cassidy, please play it cool."

"Play what cool....?"

"Hey, Tate." Max looked handsome as ever.

"Hey Max, this is my cousin, Cassidy."

Cassidy gave me and Max side glances. I think she thought I was dating him. All of a sudden, Cassidy cocked her eye brows and said, "Well its nice meeting you Max, but I had just realized that I needed to call my mom and tell her I was here." I knew what Cassidy was doing. She winked at me because she was trying to get me and Max alone.

"Nice cousin you got there."

"Yeah the best." We both started chuckling to one another.

"Hey so are you ok?" He looked at me worried.

"What do you mean?"

"When you fell." Max gently grabbed my wrist and examined it.

"I'm fine." I quickly released my hand from his grip. "You don't have to worry about me."

"...But I do. Wanna tell me what those cuts are about?"

Man between my parents and him, I got tired of people being in my business. "I gotta go. My cousin is waiting on me."

"Wait Taytum, look I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry into your business. Please don't go." Hearing Max beg, made me not want to leave, but I knew if I had stay, I wouldn't be able to leave.

I felt Max's fingers intertwine with mine. He pulled me back and examined my face. I looked down to the ground. It was hard looking into his cold steel blue eyes. "Please look at me, Tate." Why did he have this control over me? Max picked my chin up and I couldn't help but look at him. "Are you ok now?"

"...Yeah." He wiped a tear off my face.

"Just tell me if something is wrong and I'll be there to listen. Again, I'm sorry for being in your business. I know you been through enough shit, but honestly I just want to help you out." Max gave me a kiss on the cheek and left.

I watched as Max walked away. Did I really hurt the only person that might actually care about me?