Fourteen

Zach

The walk home was loud. From Jack and Ryan arguing and Reese talking about her new friends, it was pretty loud.

I stayed quiet though. My mind was thinking of my mother and if he came home while we were gone.

"My phone starts ringing and my eyebrows furrow. I pull out my phone and look at the caller ID.

It was David.

"Zach, I don't know how you will feel about this..."

"About what?" I ask.

"Are you home?" He asks. I shake my head, but after realizing he can't see me I speak.

"No. Almost though. Why?"

"Just...never mind. You will see." He says hanging up. I frown and shake my head.

We continue the walk until I see flashing lights in front of the familiar house. I shake my head as I run, leaving Reese, Ryan, and Jack behind me.

As I am about to get onto the lawn, an officer holds me back. "You can't pass sir."

"I have to! I need to know what happened!" I yell to him. He shakes his head.

"I'm sorry sir, but you need to stay back-"

"Get off of me you rats!"

I look behind the cops and anger grows in me. I quickly bolt around the distracted officer and two the man who I deeply despised.

I grab ahold of Jay's shirt collar and bring him close to my face. "What the hell are you doing here!? I thought I told you to get the fuck away!" He screamed. I held myself back from hurting him.

"What the hell did you do to my mother!? Why were you here!?" I screamed in his face. I felt arms grab me and pull me back. I glared at the man I called my father and shook my head.

"If you hurt her so help me go-" my eyes travel behind him and to the door where they wheel out a cot with a woman on it. And not just any woman, my mom.

"Let go of me! I need to see my mother!" I yell to the police behind me. I struggle out of his grip and run to the medic's sides as they move my mother into the ambulance.

"What did he do to her?" I ask the medic. She glances at me and back down to my mother.

"He hit her on the head with something and then she either got pushed or fell down the stairs. She is in a coma for now." She said shaking her head. We watched as the other medics hooked my mother up to a transportable IV.

As I turn away, my eyes land on my siblings and Jack. Both of them are awe struck, I can tell Ryan has tears in his eyes while Reese doesn't understand what is going on.

Jack looks at me with a solemn look and I shake my head letting out a ragged breath.

"Sir?" An officer and what looked to be an investigator walked up to me. "May I ask you a few questions?" He asks. My eyes widened and I nodded my head slowly.

"What are you o the victim and the suspect?" He asks.

"They are my parents. Or were. I don't consider him my father anymore." I say shaking my head eyeing Jay as he is pushed into a cop car. I hope that bastard gets locked away.

"Has this or any other illegal things happened before?" He asks. I nod my head.

"I came home from LA because my little sister called me telling me that he was hurting the family after I...came out. He started abusing them and when I came home one night, he hit me and my band mate with his belt." I say turning my back to them and lifting it up, showing them the bandages.

"How long ago was this?" He asks.

"Four days."

"Thank you for answering the questions. Now, do you have any questions?" He asks putting his notepad and pen away.

"How long is ho going to be locked up?" I ask gesturing to Jay in the cop car.

"Depends on what we all find on him. So far, I would say about ten to fifteen years." He said. I nodded and gave a small smile.

"Thank you." I said. I run off the lawn and over to Jack, stopping in front of him.

"Get them in the car. I'll try and get the keys from inside." I tell him. He nods and brings them to the car, getting them in the back.

After a few minutes of negotiating with the officer at the door, he let me in to get the keys. I jogged to the car and got into the drivers door.

The drive was quiet while we were going. But that only lasted a few minutes until Ryan spoke up.

"Will she be alright?" He says with a shaky breath. I look in the review mirror and give him a small smile.

"She will be alright." I force out. Everyone in the vehicle knew that it wasn't certain that she would make it.

We made it to the hospital and we all piled out of the car and into the hospital. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. This is what David meant.

I pulled out my phone from my back pocket and opened it, going to my Instagram account. I quickly slid over and started to take a video.

"So, some of you may have seen from the news what happened. I am not comfortable talking about it right now, so if you don't know, go check out the news from Texas." I rubbed my face and sighed. "Or ask other people or fans if you can't. Well, see you." I stopped the video and posted it with a sigh. I glanced at Jack and gave a small smile at his concentrated look while he typed away on his phone.

I turned my head away and rested it in my hands. I shook my head and sighed, getting lost in my thoughts. Do I believe that my mom can get through this? What if she...dies?

I start imaging what it would be without my mom. There would be no one for Reese and Ryan. No one to go to for relationship trouble. I wouldn't even have parents anymore.

My breath gets caught in my throat and I choke on a sob. I knew I had to be strong, but I can't when my mother is in pain because of me.

 I knew I had to be strong, but I can't when my mother is in pain because of me

Liked by JonahMarais, CorbynBesson, and 835,924 others

WhyDon'tWeMusic Sorry for what has been going on so far these past months. Praying for you all! ❤❤ #PrayForTheHerrons @ImZachHerron @Mama.Herron @ImRyanHerron @ImReeseHerron

Comments disabled

——
I'm sorry...but not really. Sorry not sorry.

Word Count: 1139