Eighteen

Zach

I slipped on my band hoodie and grabbed the keys from the counter. I said a quick goodbye to Jonah and Daniel, who were sitting on the couch. I quickly hopped into the car and typed in the address to Eli's house.

I drove with the music on, it softly playing as I rounded the corner to the street Eli was on. I immediately spotted him standing outside with a white shirt and black jeans with red vans.

As I pulled up, a smile formed on his face and he waled over, hopping into the passenger's seat. He grinned at me and his eyes twinkled.

"Where are we going?" He asks. I glance at him and smile.

"You'll see." I answer. He nods and looks at the road.

Soon enough, we arrive at the destination and he laughs with a grin.

"You took me to the fair?" He says. I nod and smile at his giddiness.

"Let's go." He said, hopping out of the car. I chuckle and get out, walking next to him. We stop at the gate and I grab my wallet, grabbing out a twenty and passing it to the man at the gate.

"You didn't need to pay for me." He said. I smirked at him.

"I wanted to." I said. He smiled at me.

"I love when you smile." I say as we walk in. I glance at him to see a blush on his face and him covering his face.

"Hey, don't cover your face. It is cute when you blush." I say, grabbing his hand from his face and holding it at our sides.

He huddles into my side and I smile. It felt good to know I made someone happy.

If only it was Jack.

The smile fell and we walked towards the game booths. We walked up to a balloon pop booth and he smiled at me. I planted a small smile on my face and said, "You want to play this?"

He nods and I grab out my wallet, handing a $5 to the booth worker. They cast me a smile and Eli lines up to shoot a dart. He trows one and it hits a red ballon, giving him 3 points.

He throws another and gains 5 points and the last gets another 5.

"Congrats! You won the big teddy bear!" The booth worker exclaimed and sirens went off. He blushed and grabbed the bear, walking over to me with his head down. He rests it on my chest and I laugh as people take pictures.

"That is Zach Herron." I hear someone say. I shrug it off, expecting people to cone up and ask for people. But after a while, no one does. I sigh happily.

"I was expecting photo's from everyone. Guess they decided to leave me alone on my date." I said with a smile. Eli looked up at me and grinned. I laughed and grabbed his hand, walking around more.

Eli was my drug away from Jack. If I couldn't have him, I would listen to Jonah and move on. So I decided Eli could. He already made me happy, so I decided.

I could fall for someone who isn't the person I already fallen for. Quite opposite than each other, they are. Jack had brown eyes, while Eli's were blue. Yes, their hair was both brown, but Jack's was curled. They were both shorter than me though. Somethings match up, and it reminds me of him. It reminds me of when we used to play, and Jack would be in my arms. Yes, it would be a game, but it meant a lot to me. It felt right.

"Zach! Let's go on that!" He said pointing to the ferris wheel. My eyes widened and I shook my head.

"No. No, no, no. No." I said backing away. He looked at me with puppy eyes and I caved.

"Fine. But I am having my family sue you if I die." I say. He cheers and grabs my hand, pulling me towards my potential death.

As we sat in the cart, it started to rise and I started to freak out. "Eli! Eli why did I agree to that!?"

Eli laughed and pulled out his phone and going to Instagram and records a video.

"Guys! Zach is freaking out." He said laughing as I look at him.

"How are you not!? We are locked in a cage very high up in the air!" He laughed and stopped it.

"Hey. Look at me." He said. I slowly turned to him and he puts his hand on my cheek with a small smile.

"Stop freaking out and it will be alright, okay?" He said calmly. I nodded my head and we sat like that through most of the ride.

When we got off, it was dark out. I decided that we would walk out on the peer. As we looked out at the ocean, I saw out if the corner of my eye Eli shivering.

"Here." I say taking off my sweatshirt and handing it to him. He smiled and whispered a thank you. I smiled and wrapped my arm around his waist, holding him close.

I grab out my phone a few minutes later and notice that it is late. I tap him on the shoulder and say, "Let's go. It is getting late."

He nods and we walk to the car. I move the bear that I put in there earlier to the back seat and get in.

The drive was slow, mostly because we were all quiet. The music played softly through the radio as we came up to house.

I got out with him and walked him to his front door. As we stopped, he turned to me and wrapped his hands around mine.

"I had fun tonight." He said with a smile. I smiled back at him and decided to take a chance.

I swiftly pressed my lips to his cheek, and when I pulled away, I put my mouth next to his ear and whisper. "Goodnight Eli."

I pull away and turn on my heel, trotting back to the car with a smile on my face.

Chances are worth taking.

——
Yeah.

Word Count: 1043