Fifteen

Zach

Jack had to convince the nurses to let me sleep here. I wouldn't walk, or hardly even eat. I was broken without my mother.

As I sat by my mother's side, I contemplate if she is actually strong enough. Can she last through this? What if she...

I shook off that thought and squeezed my mother's hand. "Momma," I croaked out. "Ryan needs you. Reese needs you. I need you. I can't do anything without you Momma. How am I gonna live with myself if you are gone because of me?"

I shake my head as tears brim my eyes. My mother has gotten many visitors, but some of them came to see me. To see how I have been.

I hardly spend any time on my phone anymore. Jack has posted small updates but other than that he has been with me most of the time.

The crush for Jack hasn't gone anywhere too. Matter of fact, it's increased. Every time that May person calls or texts Jack, I get pangs of anger and hatred and jealousy.

I give my mom's hand a quick peck while I grab out my phone. The first notification I see when I open it is from someone following me.

@Eli.Lane started following you

I sigh and open up their account. I notice it is the same guy that was working at the store across the street when we ate out the day we told Logan I was gay.

A notification pops onto my screen as I get a message from him. I give a small smile and open it.

Eli.Lane
I don't know if you will get this, but I am sorry about your mother. I was watching the news and saw your picture pop up on screen because of your parents. By the way, how is your mother and siblings?

I'mZachHerron
We are fine. My mother is still in the coma. I am the worse of them all though. She has been through so much because of me.

Eli.Lane
I'm sorry Zach

I'mZachHerron
It's fine. By the way, what is your number? I hate typing on here.

Eli.Lane
That is a lame excuse to get a persons number but I'll take it ;)
***-***-****

I'mZachHerron
It's not lame! Now excuse me while I go text you

I smile and I add his name as a contact and send him a text.

Zach
Hey

***-***-****
Hey

***-***-**** changed Zach to Birdie🔥

Birdie🔥
Wow

But I got something better

Birdie🔥 changed ***-***-**** to Waleye🌹

Waleye🌹
What

Wait

Ohhhhh

Wow that is funny 🙄😂

Birdie🔥
I know. Just like me 😉

Waleye🌹
Not really. You are more...different

Birdie🔥
So you could say I'm...Something Different??

Waleye🌹
Yeah I guess

Birdie🔥
🤦🏿‍♀️ you haven't heard the song yet

Waleye🌹
What song?

Birdie🔥
Listen to Something Different

Waleye🌹
Okay??

I sighed and set my phone down. I looked at my mother with sorrowful eyes and I shook my head. I kissed her forehead and rested my head against hers.

"Momma." I say. "They are gonna disconnect you soon so you need to wake up. I can't bear you leaving because of me. We won't have parents then. We need you Momma. I need you."

Tears leave my eyes and I hear the door open. I lifted my head and wiped my tears away and faced Jack.

"Sorry." He says. "I'm just checking in." I nodded as he walked over to me.

"Zach." He says rubbing my shoulder. "I know you aren't doing so good right now, but it is killing me when I see you fake smile. You need yours back." He says.

"I-I can't Jack." I croak out. "I can't have her sit here alone while I go and worry about me. I am not as self centered as people think, especially when it comes to my family."

"Zach, just please? Take a step out of the hospital room, hospital for that matter, and spend a day like you normally would." Jack gives me a small smile and looks in my eyes. After a while of contemplation, I agree and follow him out to the car with legs that have been bent for about 8 days.

We drove around town for a bit, getting clothes or shoes of odds and ends of things that we really didn't need. We decided to get all the boy's their own gift.

We were now sitting at a table at my favorite coffee shop at home. Jack was sitting across from me typing on his phone with a smile on his lips. I rolled my eyes as my phone buzzed, signaling a text message. I gave a small smile as I saw it was from Eli.

Before I could open it, a call from the hospital popped up. My eyebrows furrowed and I filled with worry as I thought of the possibilities. What if something bad happened? What if she woke up and we weren't there. What if they are cutting her off today.

I quickly answer and bring it to my ear. I listen as the other person on the other side speaks.

"...not enough oxygen..."

"...choking..."

"...fatal..."

"...dead."

My eyes widened and I could feel the tears running down my face already. "Jack." Is all I have to say and he knows that we have to go.

I am dragged out of my seat and to the truck, and Jack drove to the hospital without stopping.

As we got there, I tried running to my mother's room but the nurses held me back. I wanted to yell out, saying "She is my mother, let me in" or cry out in pain saying "It is all my fault" but I only could wheeze. I couldn't breath, and tears made my vision worse than it already was. I shook my head as they repeatedly pushed me back until I felt tingles as arm wrapped around me.

I am happy Ryan or Reese weren't here to see their only parent on the edge of leaving, or their older brother on the verge of dying of a broken heart.

I watched as the rest of the nurses filed into the room and all that I could manage out was, "Momma..."