Alternate Universe - No Powers p.2

It was the end of another school day, and Jane was pushing books and notebooks into her school bag.

"H-hey, Jane?" Stuttered Mike Wheeler, fiddling with his fingers.

Jane turned around and smiled at the Wheeler's only son. "Hey, Wheeler, how's it going?" Mike smiled up at Jane, his cheek turning a subtle pink.

"Y-you know the S-Snow Ball next w-week?" Mike asked, hoping she hadn't already been asked by someone like Troy Harrington...

"Yeah, what about it, Michael?" Jane asks, fiddling with the end of her grey sweater.

"A-are you g-going with a-anyone?" Mike said, hoping that she didn't have a date and that she would hopefully go with him.

"Troy asked me the other day, I denied him, I'm not going to the dance with someone who bullies people," Jane said, rolling her eyes as Troy Harrington walks past.

"D-do you m-maybe wanna go w-with m-me?" Mike asks, his eyes locked on the floor.

Jane smiled at Mike, and shut her locker behind her.

"Yeah," Jane continued to smile at Mike, as he looked up shocked.

"A-are you serious?" He looked at Jane. She smiled softly at Mike and nodded her head.

★★★
- 15th December 1983 -

Jane was sat in the bathroom, in her soft pink dress, ready for the Snow Ball.

Except she wasn't going, she was throwing her lunch and dinner into the sink.

"MAMA! I NEED THE-" She cut herself off by bringing up more of her dinner. "PHONE!"

Terry Ives walked into the bathroom, and saw her daughter being sick in the sink.

"I'll ring the Wheeler's, I'll tell Michael you're not going," Terry said, rubbing Jane's back.

★★★

Mike stood in his bedroom, buzzing with energy. He'd asked the girl of his dreams, to go to a cheesy dance - something he'd never have the guts to do.

"MICHAEL! PHONE'S FOR YOU!" His mother shouted and Mike ran down the stairs and took the phone from her.

"Hello?" From the other end of the line, he could faintly hear someone being sick.

"Hi, Michael. It's Terry, Jane's mama?" The voice said, and that's when it dawned on him, the person being sick was Jane. She's not going to the Snow Ball...

"Hi, she's not going... Is she?" Mike knew he sounded really deflated, but he was so excited to actually dance with her. However, from Mike's end of the phone it sounded rather fake...

"Sorry, honey," Terry said, feeling sorry for the boy.

"J-just tell her she didn't need to say that she had to go to the dance with me," Mike said, before Terry could say anything against what Mike said, he put the phone back against the wall.