Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster

On January 28, 1986, the NASA shuttle orbiter mission STS-51-L and the tenth flight of Space Shuttle Challenger (OV-99) broke apart 73 seconds into its flight, killing all seven crew members, which consisted of five NASA astronauts and two payload specialists.

🌌🌌🌌
11.35 am Hawkins, Indiana.

El was bouncing in the seat in the auditorium of her sophomore year at Hawkins High. Mike was sat at her side, his arm wrapped around her to calm her down, as the big screen was wheeled in.

El had been following this since it was first announced on the TV, 17 months ago. Mike wasn't surprised. El was like a sponge, she retained information so quickly and easily. Mike was so proud of her.

As the time came closer and closer to lift off, El became more and more excited, this would be the first time that she has seen a shuttle takeoff. El had always been in the lab, or watching soap operas on the television when Hopper was hiding her in the cabin.

"10! 9! 8! 7! 6! 5! 4! 3! 2! 1!" The teenagers of Hawkins High shouted, counting down to takeoff along with the rest of the world, as well as: the young children, family and friends of the astronauts and payload specialists.

El looked at Mike with pure excitement, so excited to see the for the first ever time - a space shuttle takeoff.

"LIFT OFF!" They all exclaimed, as the shuttle was set alight and started to leave planet Earth. They all watched the shuttle launch, El watched in awe of the metal that was able to take these astronauts and payload specialists into space.

That was until what would know be known as the Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster.

It was something out of a horror movie. El screamed loudly, as did the rest of the people in the gymnasium, as the space shuttle, exploded...

"Mike, what happened?" El asked her boyfriend, looking up at her boyfriend with heartbroken eyes, as tears started to dribble out of said eyes.

"I don't know, honey. I don't know," Mike said, pulling her tightly into his eyes, as the TV was shut off immediately. Mike hug and cuddled his girlfriend, who was in shock and sobbed into his arms, clinging onto him like a koala bear. On any day, Mike would love it when El is like a koala bear, but right now he hates it because she is so heartbroken over what had just happened, that possibly the astronauts and payload specialists hadn't survived the explosion.