It's a Wonderful Life p.2

Mike and El had put their three beautiful children to bed and it had been a couple of hours before they went to bed themselves.

They were in their bedroom, getting into their pyjamas, ready for bed.

★★★

"So, what you're saying is, I never went in the lab, I never got my powers, dad never 'had' me, I was with my mama, I moved to Chicago and was horrible to you?" El asks, pulling Mike's old Hawkins Middle School AV Club t-shirt over her head, that was somehow still too big for her.

"Yeah, it was really weird, and you being mean and horrible to me, saying we'd never met just hurt," Mike whispered, practically collapsing onto their bed, before feeling a soft hand rest against his shoulder blades.

"Mike, you know none of that was real, would ever be real? Right?" She asked, her hand going from his shoulder blades to his soft black waves.

"I know, and I'll be forever grateful for you crashing into my life," Mike said, rolling over and smiling up at her. El had taken her contact lenses out and replaced with her slightly dodgy glasses that were a smidge broken from when Luke had gnawed on when he was a baby. They were starting to slip off her face, in need of 'tightening the screws' as her father Hopper had said a couple of blue moons ago.

"As will I, thank you for saving me," she said softly, running her fingers along her husband's freckled cheeks.

"Thank you for letting me," Mike replied, allowing her to cuddle up into his side (something that wasn't rare for them - they just didn't get the opportunity to do so, so often with 3 kids and 2 thriving careers). "Love you," Mike murmured, sleep slowly taking him from a long and confusing day.

"Love you too," El replied, also having sleep taking over her from a tiring and slightly heartbroken day (with her husband going 'missing').