Or Not Seriously at All

You were in the training room, the steady thud of your fists hitting the punching bag the only sound in the room. It was almost hypnotic, especially since you had been doing this since you had come back from your last mission. The mission had gone terribly awry, and it didn't help that your boyfriend had seemed to leave behind all his common sense when you left the Avengers Compound. You didn't know what came over him, but it was like he hadn't taken the mission seriously at all. So, since you couldn't lose yourself in the intricacies of nobility as you would have on Asgard, you turned to the next best thing you knew: training. Since you had arrived on Earth, you were thrown into becoming an asset for the Avengers. Some had even called you an Avenger yourself, even though you felt undeserving of the title.

The rhythmic tune that had become your training was interrupted by the sound of footsteps behind you. You still didn't stop, and didn't even acknowledge them until they stopped behind you. You figured it was probably Steve or someone coming to check on you, to make sure that you were all right. Based the lack of stuttering and never ending chatter, you already knew that it wasn't Peter, excitable as he was. You continued your steady attack on the punching bag, waiting for them to make the first attempt at contact. "(Y/n)," he trailed off. His voice immediately made your hairs stand on end, seeing as he was the last person you wanted to talk to right now. "Love, you can't ignore me forever."

"But I can certainly try," you said, finally stopping your hits. You looked down to your red knuckles, unused to the pain that was starting to settle in them. Even though you knew you'd have to go ice them before they bruised and rendered you unable to go on missions, you still refused to turn.

"I don't understand why you're acting like this," Loki huffed. That was what made you finally turn.

"You don't understand why I'm acting like this?" You asked incredulously. "Perhaps you truly don't understand that your recklessness almost cost me my life today!"

"It wasn't that serious-"

"No, it was. You're the one that's acting like it wasn't," you cut him off. "What part of 'I almost lost my life' makes you think that this wasn't serious?" You brushed past him, not wanting to entertain this further if he was unwilling to see where he had erred. You still needed to go get checked in the medical wing, but you knew you would brush that off until tomorrow at the very least. You were stopped by Loki's grip on your arm, forcing you to turn back to him.

"You're hurt," Loki breathed, as if this was the first time that it truly hit him. "I caused this?"

You nodded. "When you went off plan, you left me open to an attack on your side. If Peter hadn't seen that, then I would've died. For a kid, he's very observant." It was true: you would have died due to Loki's own lapse of judgement. Since becoming unofficial Avengers, you found that Loki often treated missions as if they were nuisances rather than necessities. You tried to walk away again, but winced as your ribs pained you. Almost immediately, Loki rushed to help you stand. You tried to brush him off, but he refused to leave your side.

"Love, let me help you," he insisted. You couldn't find the energy to resist anymore, so you gave in. The two of you made your way to your quarters, and he gingerly helped you to your bed. You had changed earlier from your suit into some sweats, but you could still feel the grime from your mission combining with the sweat from your training, leaving you uncomfortable and wanting a shower. "I screwed up."

"Yes, you did," you said, propping yourself against the headboard. You were trying to find a comfortable position, but your ribs weren't allowing you to. "What is going on with you? Ever since we got here, it's like you find nothing serious anymore."

"I... don't know. Here, they prefer the trickster to the leader. It's as if they're scared of me being anything more than a trickster," Loki revealed.

"And you're afraid of them rejecting you," you finished for him. "Loki, you can be both of those things. You don't always have to be the trickster, especially not on missions."

"I know, love, and I'm truly sorry," Loki told you, pressing a kiss to your forehead. "If I'd been more serious then you wouldn't be hurt, and I have no one to blame but myself for that."

"None of that, now," you hushed him. "You know how we heal, I'll be ready to go on missions in a few days."

"But not if you don't visit the medical wing," He said. "Do you remember when you approached me on the ship on our way here?"

"Yes, I found you by accident," you replied with a slight nod.

"And do you recall how I said that I couldn't fathom what I was to do without you?" Loki asked.

"Very faintly, but yes," you answered.

"I meant it, and I still do. I knew you would need your time after the mission, which is why I didn't approach you. Peter came to me afterwards, yelling at me," Loki told you.

"Really? Peter Parker did that?" You asked, surprised. Loki nodded.

"Yes, he did. That's how I knew I had truly messed up during the mission. You deserve someone who knows when to take things more seriously," Loki started.

"Loki-"

"And I couldn't bear to see you with someone else, so I will become that person for you," Loki promised, taking your hand in his and pressing a kiss to it. You could feel yourself melting at the look of determination and love in his eyes, and you knew that he was truly going to work on this for you. "Now, will you please allow me to take you to the medical wing?"

You nodded, and as soon as you did, Loki took you into his arms, lifting you and starting the way to the medical wing. You pressed your face into his neck, laughing softly. You were finally getting back the man you had fallen in love with.