A Different Kind of Love: Chapter Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT (Clarity)

        My eyes open slowly to the sound of ‘My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark’ blasting in my ear. I reach my hand over to the bedside table where my phone is and shut off the alarm. After my alarm went off I look over to see my best friend still sleeping. You know what? Screw school! Skip the damn class today, Clarity and live a little. I think to myself. My inner voice was giving me advice? Who knew she could be nice. Obviously not me.

            I wake up about three hours later at 9:00 to hear Lara’s shower running. I get up and go over to Lara’s closet taking out a pair of jeans and a Beatles T-shirt. Her being almost the exact same size as me, we share clothes.

            Lara pops out of the bathroom door wearing my skinny jeans and a sweater we found at a garage sale.

            “Hey, Clarity.” She says, almost back to her bubbly self.

            “Hey, me and Dallas are taking you with us to the party tonight.” I say, tugging a jacket over the T-shirt.

            “Oh my gosh, we have nothing to wear! Let’s go shopping!” She exclaims, grabbing my arm and yanking me down the stairs of her house towards her car.

            The drive to the mall is about twenty minutes, but it felt like five because we jammed out to some music and talked about our lives. When we got to the mall, Lara draged me to almost every store in the mall. But we finally decide on an outfit for me consisting of a pair of black skinny jeans and a white, flowy top. With my grey converse’s. Her outfit is a simple red dress with black pumps. I can’t, by any means, walk in heels. They will probably be the death of me, or will somehow be involved in my death. When my brother graduated from high school we had a big party and my mom made me wear heels, let’s just say it was one of the worst experiences in my life. I ended up falling down the stairs and ripping the dress I was wearing.

            The drive back to my house is loud and fun. You put me and Lara in a car together and all you will get is chaos. We jam to our favorite songs and Lara tells me how she is going to do my hair for the party. We pull into my driveway and I see Daniel’s car. He is going to know I wasn’t in school today! Shit. I need to get my act together and confront him. I love my brother, but he is being way too overprotective. We walk to the front door and Lara walks off to my room with our purchases, while I make my way to Daniel’s room.

            “Daniel?” I ask, knocking on the door. When I open the door after no one answers I find Daniel sitting in his desk chair, smoking marijuana.

            “Clarity? What are you doing here?” He asks, getting up from his desk chair.

            “Umm, I freaking live here! Why were you smoking pot? When did this happen?” I ask, confused as hell.

            “Well, it started last year when I met your friend Jason. He hit me up with the drugs, and now I can’t stop.” He replies, looking down.

            “Daniel! This is bad! You need to stop, we can’t talk right now okay? I have to go to a party with Lara and Dallas.” I state walking out of his room.

            I walk all the way down the hallway to where my room is, and open my door to see Lara curling her hair. She curls the last piece and turns to look at me.

            “Is everything okay?” She asks.

            “Yeah. Let’s get ready for this party.” I say, pulling my outfit out of the bag. I change into the clothes and Lara gives me a pointed look, then tells me to sit down. She then proceeds to do my hair.