Chapter 9

"Why can't I see you?"

When Len wakes up this morning, he realizes something.

Yes, his relationship with you is improving significantly, but it's also improving slowly. He's far too impatient, he thinks as he sits up in bed. He still has about five to six months to completely make you fall in love with him and here he is, fisting his blond hair in his hands, trying to come up with something to get you to become as obsessed with him as he is with you.

It certainly won't be easy.

He sighs heavily and takes a small plastic bag from the table next to his bed into his hand. Inside of it lies the two wooden ice cream sticks from yesterday, now stuck together because of the stickiness from the sugar. Slipping his hand into his pillow cover, he fishes around for a small key and grabs a small metal lock box from under his bed. Rin always thought that this was where Len kept his birthday money or something like that, but it held so much more than that.

Inside this box were memories of his childhood, pictures of you and him together as children while Rin played with a younger Gumi and Luka in the background. Ah, those were the days; back when he had you all to himself and no one else. Len unlocks the box and carefully takes out the pictures. It disgusts him at how he managed to lose everything the moment he grew up. All the things he loved were gone! Friends, singing, and you. If only Len hadn't been forced to become the perfect child when he entered high school, maybe things would've been better.

Len digs further into the box and takes out everything. Recent pictures of you, your hairbands and bracelets, even a large scrap of your shirt he had accidentally ripped off in phys.ed one year in middle school. That was a moment he would never forget. Grinning slightly, he looks through all of the pictures. Sure, you weren't looking directly at the camera (as you had no clue that he was taking pictures of you), but these pictures meant the world to him.

"LENNY! Wake up, sleepyhead!" Rin screams from outside his door. Len jumps slightly from shock and he quickly scrambles to put everything back in the box, along with the new ice cream sticks.

"I'm up! Just give me a few more minutes!" He yells, locking the box and pushing it under his bed. He can hear her footsteps fading away and sighs in relief, until he notices something wet on his cheeks.

'When did I start crying?' he wonders and wipes his tears with his sleeves. He gets out of bed and heads off to get ready for school.

Meanwhile, you're trying to make oatmeal in the kitchen but it's hard to do when Rin has jumped onto your back trying to watch you cook. You really hope that this isn't what every morning would be like...

"Oi, Rinny, get off me! And go eat your eggs before they get cold," you instruct, trying to shrug her off of you. Eventually, she gets off so you can continue trying to make banana oatmeal for Len.

"How come he gets banana oatmeal? I want orange oatmeal!" She says, stomping her feet. "Orange oatmeal, orange oatmeal!"

"Ugh, LEN! Hurry up, I need backup!!" You scream. To your surprise, he bounds down the stairs quickly and barks at his sister to shut up before standing in front of you.

"Hah," he pants out and tries to fix his disheveled school uniform. "You called?"

You blink at his appearance and realize he wasn't even done dressing before running down to see you. His white button-up shirt is half tucked into his plaid khakis and his tie is loosely hanging around his neck. "Oh, I'm sorry, Len, I didn't mean it literally." you say as you try to fix his tie, which his fingers are currently stuck in. "Ah, hold still, will you?"