Chapter 13

"I didn't know loving you could hurt you so much..."

It amazes Len at how quickly things can change with a little planning. So far, everything has ruled in his favor and all he needs now is to ensure that everyone else stays away from you. This is the most challenging part of the process and Len knows it. It's a difficult task on its own, but he'll manage. You'd fall for him, or maybe you already have; he'll find out soon enough.

He leans back into the armrest of the couch, sighing quietly so he doesn't wake you. You're peacefully asleep in his arms and your own are around his neck and he can't be happier, he thinks as he pulls you even closer. He gingerly moves your hand to check the watch on your wrist and sees in glowing numbers that it's only 4 A.M. His face scrunches up into a scowl when he observes the tacky, plastic orange watch that Rin gave you a long time ago. He'd surely have to get you a new one soon and a much better one at that.

He wants no traces of his sister's existence left behind in your life—not until she comes back at least.

Running his free hand through your hair, he listens to your soft breathing and has to wonder: What if things don't go according to plan? It seems as if on cue, your eyes slowly open.

It takes absolutely everything in his willpower not to groan when you shift slightly in his hold, brushing up against him.

"Len...? Are we late for school?" You ask, your tired voice muffled when you bury your face into his chest.

"No, silly," he laughs, still running his hand through your (h/c) silky tresses. "It's four in the morning."

"And how long have you been awake?"

"I woke up a little while ago..." That is a complete lie, though. He hasn't slept since the both of you got home, but he doesn't mind. Why close his eyes when he could see something beautiful if he left them open?

You can sense he's lying. He sounds worn out and from what you can see of him in the dimly lit room, you can tell he hasn't slept.

"Liar...you need rest."

"...Fine." He mutters and finally closes his eyes. "But only because you say so."

It isn't long till he falls asleep, and now it's your turn to stay awake and wonder about what's happening to you and him; to wonder about why there's been too much change in too little time and realize how much it scares you.

Change might have impressed Len, but it terrified you to no end. Every time something changed in your life, you seemed to have terrible luck and a whole lot of it. Now that Rin's gone, you can't imagine what's going to happen to you next.

You spend the rest of the night worrying about it.

~*~*~*~

To your surprise, class goes on just the same. The Big Eight (now a halved group), calls you and Len over, save for Meiko who didn't come to school today.

"Gee, you guys look tired!"

"Tch, like you're one to talk, Miku."

"(Name), Len's being mean to me...again."

"Ah, ignore him, he's all grumpy since we didn't get much sleep." You explain, yawning for the nth time that morning. "Then again, that couch wasn't very comfortable to sleep on."

"Y-you two slept together on the same couch?"

"Why, yes, Kaito. We did." Len says with possibly the biggest shit-eating grin you've ever seen. He, much like Rin, enjoyed tormenting the blue haired boy. "Heh, you okay? You're turning kind of pale." Len notes, further annoying Kaito.