Remembering Kopa

That morning, Rafiki stood in his tree, trying to find the best way to bond the lions, he looked around his tree and snapped his fingers. Passion fruit. It's perfect, something about it just makes people more in love. Nobody ever knew the secret, but the most popular theory is how sweet it is.

That entire day, Kovu shut everyone out. He avoided everyone, especially Simba who had been especially aggressive, as if he knew Kovu had to kill him. He sat by the stream trying to battle himself.

'Just do it you coward! You spent your life training for this.'

'But he hasn't done anything to deserve this this fate.'

'He stole everything from your father, you must avenge him.'

'What would my mother think?'

'Your parents would be proud.'

He looked at the water, it was a stream that will never slow down. It rushes so fast that it's crystal clear. It has no secrets, but everyone knows not to touch it otherwise it's anger this take you and throw you over the waterfall. Kovu on the other hand wasn't so see through, it creates suspicion. Nobody trusted him. Then he remembered something is "imaginary friend" had told him.

'Well... Because we're rogues. Nobody likes us... We don't belong anywhere..'  She was right. He didn't belong anywhere, the world hated him since he was a cub. 'She doesn't exist!'  He internally slapped himself in the face.

Kiara had been spending the day with Auni. It became clear he was keeping her from seeing Kovu. While they sat near pride rock, Kiara got up. "I'll see you later." She finally dismissed Auni who seemed disappointed that she was leaving. He got up to go see Amira instead. 

Kiara spotted him sitting by the stream. A stream she hadn't even looked at in 3 years. She was too afraid of going near it but she finally mustered up enough courage to go to him. She sat beside him and looked at the stream that murdered her brother. "This is how my brother died..." She calmly started to talk. His head jerked to the right to look at her. "Three years ago.. I was still a cub. I was playing with him by the stream, and I tripped in the stream.. He tried to save me and he fell down the waterfall.." Kiara struggled to talk about him. Her eyes watered and she looked back at him.

"I.. I don't have a sibling... I thought I did once... Guess it was just my cub imagination." Kovu silenced himself 'What are you saying?'  He stayed silent for a while and looked forward at the dull rocks that were hardly visible from the coat of darkness over them. He came to shock when he felt her head rest on her shoulder. His mane absorbed her tears. 'Don't get too attached Kovu... You have to kill her later...'  He told himself.

What the young lions didn't know was that they were being watched by Auni and Amira. Amira could care less, she was more interested in nuzzling Auni. He glared at Kovu intensely. He was struck by jealousy. How dare he nuzzle Kiara? Kiara belonged with Auni, not some rogue. "Are you alright?" Amira asked and looked up at him. But he relaxed. "I'm fine. Let's go back to the cave." He invited. What was confusing was that neither Amira nor Kiara were his mates, so his anger was more based off of childhood connections.

"We used to tell each other everything... I miss having that kind of connection with my brother. I just feel like since Auni and Kopa were best friends, I see Kopa in Auni... But it's not the same.." She mumbled, and shifted her head to look up. He paused but slowly nodded in understanding.

Meanwhile...

"So how were you separated from Kovu?" Mheetu asked since over the day, Vitani opened up to him. "Well.." Vitani was much stronger about this topic now because she got to talk about to a lot, while Kovu had to just bottle it up. "I remember it was really hot and I was looking for water because Kovu was so much smaller he could die without it anytime soon. Some hyenas showed up and circled us.. When I tried getting them to back off from him, they snatched me and left him to die. I can assume his way of death might have been another lion, a leopard, or maybe a hippo. Because I just found blood but he wasn't there." Vitani stuttered a bit but managed to hold her tears off okay.

"I'm sorry.." Tama commented. Vitani just nodded, she avoided talking about this topic in front of her cubs. Mufasa stayed silent, because he saw all this happen and he couldn't do anything. He knew that at some point now, Rafiki would be stepping in.

"Well, what about Kiara? Is she still alive and well?" Mheetu asked. "Last time I checked, she was alive and well." Mufasa told Mheetu. Kopa relaxed, knowing she was okay. "How about you? How were you separated?" Tama asked. "Well..." Kopa never talked about Kiara much, he told her to forget him for her own good. It hurt him to remember Kiara so puny and upset. "We were just cubs... playing by the stream, she fell in.. Long story short, I saved her life. I thought I would die so I dismissed her, told her to forget about me and live but that's not the part that confuses me. To this day, I don't know what happened but after she left, a lioness took me when I was still weak. When I woke up again.. There was another cub that she was talking to with some other lion. I didn't know what they were saying, but they smacked him and so I ran away. I wish I helped him, sometimes I wonder if he ended up being okay.." Kopa told them still puzzled. "Woah.." Vitani mumbled. She would rather have her brother dead than any of the potential abuse that Scar and Zira put him through.