Accepting The King

THE MORNING AFTER

Kovu had taken his usual morning stroll, he was used to hearing birds chirping, having all the space to himself, and some peace and quiet and he stepped on the stiff dying grass. Today wasn't like any walk. He'd been stressed all night. Questions like- 'How could I be king? I'm only a teenager. What if my reign is a fail? What if Kiara and I fall out of love?'  He had been pacing, but what he never stopped to consider was that the citizens were terrified of him. And he didn't notice that when his ears picked something up. He was walking past a Blue Gnu and Zebra herd when he felt closer the whispering.

He looked up, and as he walked through the herd, there was a clean split as he walked. They parted two ways allowing him to walk without issue, when normally he had to crawl and dodge their hooves as they carelessly grazed. He noticed them hiding their calves from him, but he was alone in the morning. Why in hell should he be hunting?

This brought the animals to all surround him. The babies were hidden under their mothers who were guarded by their fathers. Rafiki noticed this from a far, and decided to approach. There was a moment of silence. "Are you just going to stand there?" He heard a hippo call at him. He stuttered a bit. "What else am I supposed to do?" He asked everyone as a whole. "We thought you'd attack us or tear up our offspring, maybe banish the royal family?" A zebra asked, forcing her calf to the safety of lying beneath her. "W-why would I do that?" Kovu inquired in such shock of that accusation. "Because you were raised by Scar." A nearby giraffe spat. "Okay enough!" Rafiki clapped his hands as he went to Kovu's side. "Rafiki, we trusted you but are you crazy? That's Scar's heir." A bird whispered. "You must all learn to see past a claw mark on his face. What would Mufasa, Ahadi, or even Mohatu think?" Rafiki shook his head in disapproval, naming previous wise kings of the pride lands.

Everyone had paused, whenever a king died the pride lands were ruined until the next king proved himself. This silenced everyone. "Simba raised his heir well did he not?" Rafiki questioned. His interrogation opened their eyes more and more to his subject, before something inside them snapped. Sending all of them to bow to the new king, apologizing for their wrong doings.

'It's a new Era...'  Kovu whispered in his head.