A New Era

As the pride was beginning to settle down, Kovu had allowed himself to breathe. He reminded himself of everything. As the night set out across the savannah, Kovu was more and more ready to truly reunite with his sister. Though a sound broke the peace of the crickets chirping around him and the grass waving against the cooling breeze making gentle hisses. The sound of a twig snapping and grass being torn apart. Vitani sat beside him. "Shocking huh... A lot happens in a day..." Vitani mumbled. He slightly nodded. "Yeah..." He deeply inhaled.

"Do you..." 'Accept me?'  She finished in her head. He nodded. "Yup." He still sounded emotionless. They both avoided eye contact, just watching the pond. Kovu let out some air through his nose and smiled. The memories almost flashed in front of his eyes. Vitani accepted it would take a while to fully restore her bond with her brother, it shocked her how quickly he took her in. "Vitani... What happened to mom and dad?" Kovu asked her. She frowned. "It was my fault.. We were always rogues, one day during the drought, mom and dad hid us while they went on a hunt.. I was so thirsty, and I saw you were too so.. I took you to find water. We never saw them again.." Vitani sighed. "I never talked about it because I just assumed they died a long time ago." She finished.

It was no harm telling him, he never got attached to them. "What were they like?" Kovu asked, shaking some dust off his mane. "They were great, they put us before themselves, they protected us with their lives.. Life was almost a walk in the park for us." Vitani nodded to herself, smiling slightly at a few of the old memories she had with them. Most being when their mother was pregnant with Kou, so Vitani had a lot of time with her father.

"Well? Shall we head back?" Vitani asked. "You go, I'll be there in a few minutes." Kovu sent her away. She head back to the pride, leaving him in peace. He enjoyed his isolation for several minutes until another gentle soul had come to give him company. Kiara leaned in against his mane. It had been a long day, they needed the silence. They both purred at the affection. It was always a silent love. They both got up, heading back to everyone.

Everyone was delighted to see them so close. Mufasa looked at them. His job was done. He knew it was time.

"So Kopa, are you ready to take the throne?" Simba asked his first born. Kopa shook his head. "I want to give the throne to Kiara." Kopa denied. Everyone gasped. "What? Why?" Nala and Kiara asked. "Kiara's been here all her life. She already knows how to run the pride. I don't. I will give the throne to her." Kopa once again rejected the offer. Never in the history of the pride lands has there been a hand down of the throne. As Simba opened his mouth to tell him that, Kopa covered for him. "There's a first time for everything." He left the topic silently.