We're Here

As the cubs woke up from their naps Kovu approached the edge of the pride lands, checking for Auni and Simba. He kept going until he reached the gorge where Mufasa died. He put down the cubs. "You're here. Just go to that pointy rock." He whispered. Amana hopped away. Clif hugged his foot Kovu- out of shock, put his paw on the cub's back. Clif felt a connection to Kovu. "Thank you mister.." He whispered and hopped away to catch up to his sister. On the other side of the gorge, Mufasa and 'the group' watched. "Is that?" Vitani gasped, unable to finish her sentence with the shock she was in. "Kovu." Mufasa told her. Their voices were trampled under the hooves of a wildebeest migration. "Oh the memories.." Mufasa sarcastically remarked.

Kovu looked around, he couldn't hear Kiara's crying yet. Auni and Simba were nowhere to be seen. Now was his chance to eat. He extended his claws and slid down the cliff and stopped right at a ledge. He was the height of their shoulders. "What the hell is he doing! He's going to get hurt!" Vitani gasped. "Vitani, he's went through plenty of training to Kill. He could kill if he was upside down." Mufasa told her. "WHAT? Who's been training him all his life?" Vitani was full of anger. "My crazy brother. Kovu only knows how to kill. I'm here to change him." Mufasa assured. "Does... does he still remember me?" Vitani asked, shocked for the next answer. "He thinks you were an imaginary friend." Vitani wanted to jump off and die right then. Kopa frowned, feeling for Vitani.

"It's impossible to catch a weak wildebeest from there!" Vitani complained, but she stood corrected when Kovu bobbed his head down. He tore a sick one out and snapped it's neck. The crack was louder than he expected, and he was now extra cautious as Auni or Simba might have heard this. Vitani was impressed as she watched Kovu drag his head heavy meal to the top. Mufasa stared at Kovu's paws. "His paws... There's not much walking in the pride lands.." Mufasa began to notice new things but just then, he noticed the scar on his face. Something happened, and he had to figure out what happened. As Kovu pulled his meal away, Shenzi, Bonzi, and Ed began to approach Kovu who wasted no time to swallow down his meal. "Jesus, how long has it been since he last ate?" Vitani worried.

Kovu slightly raised up from his crouching position, flashing his teeth as a warning. The hyenas didn't take him seriously. Kovu began to growl. Bonzi and Shenzi kept their distance for the moment while Ed didn't hesitate to try and eat, only to get scratched in the face by Kovu and hop away, laughing from distress. Nobody can blame him for being territorial. He heard a twig snap nearby. He instantly became alert, thinking he had to fight. He got on his feet and looked around but was delighted to see Kiara there.

She was doing her best to remain hidden. They both smiled when Kiara bumped and rubbed her muzzle against his. 'Perfect.' Mufasa thought. "I'm not supposed to be out right now.. How'd you get back? Your paws!" Kiara inspected him, "I'll be fine. I just had to drop off a couple of cubs. Figured to steal a meal while I'm here." Kovu told her, she was overly touched that he was so kind to return the cubs. He was no monster, but a sensitive soul trapped in misfortune and hate.

"Care to join me?" Kovu asked, knowing she hadn't eaten for a couple days. She smiled as he dragged his meal away from the vultures that began to circle. Kopa watched her accompany Kovu, they shoveled food down their throats before anyone could see them. He couldn't believe he missed so much that she was beginning to select a lover. "Kiara!" Simba called. "Kiara!" Auni called from a closer distance. Kovu gulped down his food and abandoned his kill. He barely ate three mouthfuls and was still starving. He his in the grass before he could be spotted. "There you are!" Auni sighed when he saw Kiara.

"We were all so worried." Auni looked at her trying to eat "Didn't know you figured out how to hunt yet." He mumbled. "What do you mean we!" Kiara growled and lunged at him. "Kiara, I'm sorry, I had nothing to do with your father's decision." Auni told her. Kopa watched his friend's language. 'Simba had to do with this..' Mufasa tried to put the puzzles together. "He says that he's sorry but you have to get over him, and that you'd thank him for this one day." Auni listened for a reply. "TELL HIM THAT I DON'T CARE! AND THAT I'LL NEVER THANK HIM FOR THIS! TELL HIM THAT KOPA WOULD BE DISAPPOINTED! AND HE'LL NEVER BE HIS FATHER." She screamed the highest pitch she's ever screamed that echoed through the gorge. Auni bobbed his head down as a nod but never lifted his head up again. He left the scene.

Mufasa took in the information, safely concluding that Kovu had been sentenced to exile. Not only was he too malnourished to fight but Auni would waste no time to call Simba and it would be the end of him, for his punishment is death. When Auni was out of sight Kovu stood up. Kiara approached, nuzzling him. "I have to go now.." Kovu whispered. She had tears in her eyes and nodded in his mane, knowing this was the last time she would be near him. She licked his cheek knowing that she should leave the most affection with him. Though Kovu was surprised by that gesture. Their purrs slowed, and Kovu got up. He was on his way you, but his walking turned to running to cross the boarders before he was caught.

Mufasa knew Kovu couldn't stray so far since he lacked much energy. Kiara lay down beside the carcass. She thought of how hungry Kovu must be, he left her with what he needed more. Kiara ate the carcass to disappoint the hyenas but couldn't help feeling guilty.

"Come on we gotta go after him." Vitani impulsively rushed. "No." Mufasa stopped her. "First order of business is to get your cubs. I need to teach my son a lesson. Your brother will continue to be a rogue for a few more days." Mufasa assured her that he would be okay, and that they'd watch him.

They went around the gorge where Kiara was left sobbing. Kopa went behind her. "Did you miss me?" Kopa joked, Kiara jumped and looked at him. His eyes didn't lie. Her crying intensified as she jumped onto her brother. "All these years..." She swallowed and rolled over on him, making him laugh. She got up and pulled herself together. Vitani approached. "Kiara, I want you to meet my mate. Vitani." Kopa introduced. That's when it hit her. She missed out on so much. Mufasa greeted Kiara but stopped everything. "Where is your father?" His voice suddenly filling with slight frustration with his excitement.