Getting to Know Him

As the sun had rose, Simba was up and ready. He got little sleep that night, as Nala's words had stuck with him. No surprise that the young lions were out already. He stood over pride rock to observe for several minutes until he caught himself staring right at his daughter giggling and playing. He hadn't seen this behaviour since she was a cub. He head down to see them, it seemed just at the sight of him getting close they immediately stopped and looked at him. Wow, was he so strict? He took a seat, "Kiara, could you go hunting with your mother today? I want to have a word with Kovu." Simba smiled, so she smiled and hopped away. He looked at Kovu who may as well have just dropped dead in front of him because of how wide his eyes were.

A 'word' with the king? There has to be a catch, maybe Simba was exiling him again but didn't want his daughter to see. At the same time he considered it an honour that royalty wanted to speak with him since he was already surprised the princess grew to love him. "Follow me, it won't be long." Simba had a welcoming smile on his face, Kovu changed his mind, maybe nothing bad will happen.

As they began walking, Simba began telling Kovu of his kingly duties. "And here are where the crocodiles are, I normally keep my distance but like to make sure none of them are fighting, if they are I get Zazu to throw a few fish in there and they stop." Simba explained. 'Why do I need to know this? You're king not me buddy, I'm just a rogue that happens to love your daughter..'  He thought half the time. He began talking about the buffalo herds, then hyena clan control and such. It felt like years before they could see pride rock again. "And that's about it." Simba smiled. Kovu hesitated. "With all due respect, why did I need to know all about your kingly duties?" Kovu asked, he wasn't familiar with anything to do with the monarchy here. Never in his wildest dreams has he thought he'd be a king.

"Because I know you're g-" Simba cut himself off. 'Because I know you're going to get my daughter pregnant and you better know how to be a king since I would be dethroned by then.'  He couldn't say that so he cleared his throat to try again. "Because I know you're going to be the king of the pride lands." He puffed. "What do you mean?" Kovu asked from astonishment. "After Kopa gave the throne to Kiara, when she's announced queen she'll need to pick her king. It's no secret she'd pick you over Auni." Simba had proudly informed him, he was no longer skeptical of Kovu's abilities, it was clear Kovu was interested in being a king. If he could put food in his mouth and voyage for hours everyday as a rogue, he can manage himself as he'd survived this long.

He glanced over at Kovu who was looking at the ground, slightly smiling.

As they approached the lionesses who were already starting to shred the carcass for the cubs, Simba approached Kiara who stood back to wait for the cubs since they were the priority. He sat beside her. "You have my blessing." He smiled as her and watched as her face lit up like a fire cracker.