Chapter 22: Failure

Anders brushed past a tree as he moved a branch to the side, looking around as the wind slightly blew his hair into his face. Anders scratched his beard as he recognized the place he was in. This is where he faught Dahrk, and where h required his gemstone. The first of many. Anders sighed, grabbing the gem from his jeans pocket and holding it in his palm. It was dull.

"Shit..." Anders cursed, lifting his head and walking towards a singular tree. Placong his hand on it, Anders exhaled.

"Alright." He started as he pushed himself off the tree. "What do I need to do?" Anders asked himself. He awkwardly stood in the middle of the forest, waiting for something amazing to happen. But nothing did.

"What did you expect Anders? A fucking red carpet to appear and a personal guide to show you the way?" Anders growled at himself. The viking sighed, suddenly feeling a slight bit nauseous.

"What the...?" Anders asked, shutting his eyes and placing a gentle hand on his forehead. Opening his eyes, Anders found himself no longer in Moonrise, but by a dock with many great ships surrounding it's many peers. Anders's eyes widened as he looked around, feeling a slight bit of déjà vu coming on. Anders walked down the peer until he got to a massive ship that caught his attention, the sails a pitch black and foir painted shields on each side of the deck.

"Where have I seen this ship before?" Anders asked. Suddenly, he was torn away from staring at the ship by a high grunting noise, watching as a child appeared carrying one barrel that was strapped on his back while dragging two behind him. The boy had blue eyes, ripped blue jeans, and a purple tee shirt. Anders suddenly realized who that child is and where in God's name he was.

"That's... That's me..." Anders gasped, his voice going weak. The boy walked towards Anders as he phased through him, Anders having a slight feeling of pins and needles before he turned around and started watching his young self once again. As he approached a group of three massively oversized men, Anders watched as one of the men brought out his leg, tripping the young Anders as all three barrels sprawled out onto the deck before him.

The men laughed as the young Anders struggled to get to his feet, the one putting his boot on the boys back and pushing him back down to the deck.

"Listen here child. Of you weren't so important to the captain, I would kill you here and now." The man said, unsheathing his axe and placing the black on the back of his neck. Anders growled, hating not being able to look away from this scene that he remembers all to well. Suddenly, a female turned the corner, her lush red and brown hair flowing behind her as her blue eyes glimmered in the sunlight.

Anders's heart fluttered as the memories came flooding back to him. The female noticed Anders and growled, putting the things she was carrying on the floor carefully besode her as she walked up to the men.

"What is going on?" She asked. The men looked to her.

"We're just teaching this child a little thing about manners. Nothing to practical." The one said, pushing his boot further into the young Anders's back. The small child whimpered. She shook her head.