Nathaniel

It had been three days: three days since I found my mate. Three days since I lost my mate. Three days of searching and finding absolutely nothing. Three days of high emotions and sleepless nights. "Nate don't worry man, we will find her." Ryder, ever the optimistic, tried to help me feel better.

"I will believe that when we do." I muttered, lying face down on my bed as I tried not to let the ache of sadness completely overcome me. "Son," my father's deep voice suddenly spoke and I forced myself to turn over and look at him. "Come with me."

"Where?" I asked uninterestedly, turning over once again. "Now." he nearly growled, a clear command in his tone. "Whatever." I murmured, crawling out of bed and slipping on a pair of running shoes and straightening my wrinkled black tee. He led me downstairs and out the back of the house, not speaking until we got to the training field.

"I know you miss her son and this is difficult, but you need to stay focused. Your birthday was yesterday, your shift will happen anytime now and you have to be prepared." he spoke sternly and I just hummed in response.

"I'm serious son. How are you going to find your mate if you don't even make your first shift?" he questioned and I frowned slightly. "I guess you're right." I finally muttered and he smiled at me. "Of course I am. Now go warm up!" I rolled my eyes but complied anyways, jogging off into the trees and starting my run.

As my heart started pumping faster and blood raced through my veins I felt my emotions recede a bit as the familiar burn of a good workout slowly appeared. By the time I had finished weight lifting I was smiling as I sparred with my father.

When it was late afternoon my mother called all of us in to get ready for dinner, smiling and kissing my sweaty forehead when I approached her. "I'm glad to see you are feeling better sweetheart. Now go wash up and come eat with everyone." she smiled with a stern tone at the end and I quickly nodded and jogged upstairs after kissing her cheek.

I took a quick shower and dressed in a white tee and black sweatpants before heading back downstairs. I brushed my damp hair out of my eyes as I settled in my spot at the table, looking longingly at my parents as they laughed and nuzzled each other lovingly.

"Don't worry son, we will find her." my dad spoke as he caught my expression and I dipped my head in response before beginning to eat. A large part of the pack was scattered around the large table and room, the constant buzz of noise and laughter helping to raise my spirits a bit as the night wore on. It was past dark when people began to disperse and I joined them, stepping out on to the front patio and gazing at the full moon with a sigh.

I closed my eyes for a moment and briefly relived the experience of seeing my beautiful mate completely bare in the moonlight, her golden hair and gleaming green eyes shining in the pale light. 'We will find her.' a voice I recognized as my wolf suddenly growled before an intense burning pain shot throughout my entire body.

I practically yelped, unprepared for the sudden harsh pain wracking my body as I buckled to the floor. "Sweetheart what's wrong?" I heard my mother's worried voice cry out as she rushed to my side. "Stand back before you get hurt Karen, it's his shift." my father commanded and my mother's comforting and soft flowery scent disappeared.

"Grab him and follow me! We need to get away from the others, I have a feeling this isn't going to be pretty." dad commanded in a grim tone and I felt three sets of hands grab and lift me, holding me easily as I thrashed and groaned in pain. I recognized their scents as Luke, Damon and Jax and wondered for a brief second if my friends were also nearby before the pain consumed me again.

After what felt like hours the pain suddenly intensified even further as I felt my muscles shifting and re-shaping while my bones snapped and altered. "Alpha we have to set him down!" Jax's voice called out sharply and I was quickly set on to the hard forest floor, writhing in pain as the change came closer to the end.