Nathaniel

For the next year after that first phone call Ivy finally reached out from her own number and would occasionally text and chat with me. We would just talk about normal mundane things like school or life in general before steadily leading into deeper and more consistent talks as our friendship truly blossomed. Those conversations really helped me to keep going as I felt like our connection was growing stronger and I hoped things would continue to progress.

During the next school year though things changed abruptly one day when I was suddenly blocked by Ivy with nothing more than an apology text and I immediately went to Jade to question her about it. "Jade, what is this about?" I asked when I found her and Hunter in the game room, showing her the apology text and that I could not respond.

"I talked with her late last night," she admitted and looked at me sadly. "She had a rough night and she ended up deciding that she wants to focus on finishing school for right now." she murmured and I frowned, pacing back and forth anxiously. "What exactly does that mean? Why did she block me?" I asked as my wolf whined in pain and Jade sighed.

"I think that your mate bond strengthening was making it difficult for her to sort through her feelings for you. She told me that it was becoming harder for her to stay away and to - well she decided that no contact would be the easiest thing to do for now." she murmured and I whirled around, eyeing her closely at her sudden pause.

She squirmed a bit and I stepped forwards, looming over her as my wolf came forwards. "Are you hiding something?" I asked lowly, ears and nose fully focused as she backed up a step. "No Nate, you need to chill out." she tried to speak bravely but her heartbeat sped up and the acrid tang of a lie mixed with fear went straight into my nose. "You're lying," I nearly spit, trying to contain my wolf as he rippled just beneath my skin angrily. "Did something happen to my mate? What are you not telling me?"

"Alright Nate, you need to back off." Hunter put a hand on my chest with a low growl, placing himself in front of his mate protectively. I snarled lowly as I shoved his hand away and stood to my full height, baring my canines warningly. "Move Hunter, she is hiding something. I know you sensed it too."

"Yes I did but whatever she is hiding I trust that it is nothing that concerns Ivy's well being." he spoke calmly and I eyed Jade closely. "She is perfectly healthy I promise you that. She just wants to focus on school right now and she told me to tell you that she promises she will return home after graduation and will see you then." she stated seriously and her heartbeat remained steady as only a small scent of fear lingered.

I sighed and stepped back slightly with a short growl and Hunter relaxed a bit. "I don't like that you're keeping some type of secret for her, even from your own mate." I frowned and she narrowed her eyes before lifting her chin. "Its not my place to tell anyone. It is her secret." she nearly growled and Hunter placed a soothing hand on her arm. "I trust you." he said simply and she gave him a small smile.

"Does it have anything to do with me?" I asked and she refused to answer but her heart rate sped up a bit and I growled as I began pacing again. "When does she graduate? Will she speak to me at again soon?" I finally asked and Jade sighed. "She will graduate in year and a half just like us," she said and then winced as she spoke her next words. "And I don't think she plans to speak to you at all until she comes home."

I felt my wolf surge forth stronger than ever before and I choked as I dropped to my knees, unable to hold back the shift as my wolf tore free with a howl of sorrow and rage. "Run!" I gasped as my bones cracked and then fully lost my hold as fur burst through my skin. My wolf's desperation and anger took over and he nearly attacked Jade while trying to command her to tell him the truth, but even after all this time Jade still had not chosen to become a wolf and join the pack so she was able to ignore the command but was also vulnerable if my wolf was able to reach her.