Chapter 20: co-worker

Chapter 20

|MARISSA POV|

When we got to Arizona, all I saw was empty spaces and the air was getting hot.

"Diggy it's hot can you turn on the AC." I said, fanning myself.

"Mhm." he said, turning it up.

"So where are we heading?" I sighed. "I really don't wanna get myself into something I can't get out of."

"You want the money right? then don't worry about it. just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. We're almost at the hotel. We'll meet Antonio shortly."

|CHANEL POV|

I signed in for work today and I had a pretty good day. Surprisingly, Cartel didn't come visit me. Right when I was about to go on lunch break, the door flew open and in runs Cartel with books almost dropping out of his hand. He shut the door and took a deep breath.

"What happened?" I asked.

"It's a long story." he breathed.

"Cartel you can't keep coming into my office. Your teachers are asking me if you come here when class is supposed to be going on and I lie for you. I can't keep doing that. Stop skipping your classes."

"I'm sorry I just....its stressful for me okay." he sat on the pink nurse bed.

"Just simply go to your classes dude! for real." I say, pulling out my sub sandwich.

"Aye, lemme get a bite!" he said, staring at it.

I gave him a disgusted look and rolled my eyes. "No."

"Pleaseeee."

"Get. out!"

"But I want to stay with you.." he said.

"Sorry." I said. "You gotta go."

"Okay but first can I ask you a hugee favor."

"What!"

"Can I stay at your place for like a couple weeks?"

"What? no!"

"No you don't understand! my mom has this crazy ass boyfriend that she gets drunk around and when she's drunk, I can't stand her. I don't want to be there anymore."

"Cartel, look. I'm sorry for whatever your going through but I can't help you."

"Please" he said with pleading eyes.

"Dude that's illegal!"

"Not if nobody knows!" he said.

"I'm married with a daughter. My husband ain't gonna like the fact that I brought a high school boy in our house. Let alone to STAY with us for a couple weeks? hell no!"

He bit his lip thinking and the door opened. We both looked and the principal gives Cartel an angry stare, and gives me a serious look.

"Cartel, get to class. Now." she says in a serious voice.

"Yes ma'am but Mrs. Smith wasn't-"

"I don't want to hear any of your excuses. Leave."

He got up and walked past the principal, leaving her there to stare at me as if I did something wrong.

"Chanel what was that about?"

"He needed to talk about his problems." I said.

"That's what the counselor is for. Not the nurse. I've been noticing that Cartel has been coming in here a lot more lately since you started working. Is there something going on between you two that I don't know about?"