six ; the future holds everything

:・゚☆。•:・゚☆。•

chapter sixthe future holds everything

chapter six ━ the future holds everything

━━━━★✼☆。━━━━

❝ you'll never see it coming ❞

━━━━★✼☆。━━━━

MANY THINGS HAD changed in the time Skylar moved to Gotham. For one, she had felt the smallest bit of happiness in a long time, even if it was crushed with a hard slam of a boot. She had smiled more than she had in a while. But one thing that hadn't changed was that the girl hated meeting new people. And just her luck, she was brought into another guessing game. Now, this man didn't seem to be disgusted by her. He didn't even seem to dislike her. However, it would be stupid of her to just assume that he did like her.

Barbara entered the room again with her smile and saw the man at the door. "Hello there."

The man continued to smile and entered the loft. "You must be Barbara."

Skylar didn't know how to react. This man seemed awfully familiar with his tux and black spiked hair. He walked as if someone had taken a sledgehammer to his foot. It moved to the side as he journeyed across the room and over to Jim. Skylar closed the door with a light tap. Her arms encircled her body, signaling to both her parents that she was getting nervous.

Once his journey was completed, he stopped in front of Jim. Barbara followed, waving Skylar over with a smile. Her daughter complied and went over, allowing her mother to place her hands on her shoulders. The man turned to them. "I'm Peter. Peter... Humboldt." He then laughed. "Lovely to meet you both at last. The two of you are even more beautiful than I imagined."

Barbara laughed with a smile. Skylar forced a smile. This "Peter" gave her a bad feeling. He wasn't who he said he was, that much was clear from Jim's worrying expression. Barbara settled for her award-winning smile. "Nice to meet you, Peter." She gestured to her fiancee. "I never get to meet any of Jim's friends, 'cause he never tells me anything."

"Mm. Men."

Another laugh from Barbara. "Don't I know." She removed her hands from Skylar's shoulders. "Would you like a drink?"

Before she could get far, Jim quickly interrupted. "No." Skylar's mom stopped and turned. "Uh... he's a work friend. It's a work thing."

It wouldn't even take long for a monkey to see that Jim was clearly worried. Normally, Jim was good at dodging things so he wouldn't worry Barbara or Skylar. This time though, whatever it was must have been serious because sweat pricked his forehead and his stance was one of anxiety. "Peter" nodded in agreement with Jim's explanation. "I'm just recently back in Gotham and I had an idea to pop by out of the blue. But now is clearly not a good time."

Jim forced a smile of agreement. "I'll walk you out."

They had left the loft and Barbara looked confused. But she shook her head and went back over to her daughter who still had her arms wrapped around her petite waist. "Are you hungry? I can make you something to eat."

Skylar shook her head, her arms tightening. "I'm fine."

When the teen went to go up the spiral staircase, Barbara hurried over. "No! You haven't eaten since this morning." Skylar didn't stop walking. "Skylar don't shut me out. What's wrong?" The blonde ran in front of her to stop her. "What's wrong, sweetheart? Tell me."

Skylar debated whether she should speak her mind or not. Casting a quick glance around the room, her eyes fell back onto her mother's face which was one of concern. "Nothing." It was a smooth lie. And if Barbara hadn't raised her for half her life, she would've believed it. But a mother could sense things like lies. Good ones did at least.

"Don't lie to me, Skylar. How many times do I have to tell you that I won't be mad?"

"You don't have to tell me at all." Her face stayed emotionless. "Because nothing's wrong."

Barbara sighed and watched her daughter walk up the stairs. And she waited for the sound of Skylar's door closing. It sounded through the loft quietly and she almost missed it. But it was there. And then that sound was followed by soft cries.

---

The next two days were different. The air had shifted. Skylar felt it. Barbara did as well. The thing was that it wasn't Skylar that made the air shift. It was Jim. So Barbara took it into her own hands to tell Jim about Montoya, and to comfort him after the man targetting council members was taken care of. The protective mother wasn't thinking about herself anymore like she used to. She thought about her daughter and Jim, putting them above everything.

But Barbara could let the topic go. She had to know who Oswald Cobblepot was. Jim was stubborn and wouldn't tell her. "Why can't you just tell me who he is?"

Jim sighed in response, rubbing his forehead. "Because... it's work."

"I know. But you've told me about your work before."

His next comment was harsh. "And that was a mistake. Skylar got involved and she could've gotten hurt. I am not going to make that mistake again."

Barbara looked shocked at his words. Yes, Skylar did get involved and could've gotten hurt. But if she hadn't done something, those kids would've never been saved. And it was the first time Barbara had seen her daughter do something like that. She was proud of Skylar because what she did was right. "All right. Well... I'm not gonna live like this. I can't live like this. And I'm not going to let our daughter endure more pain than she already has. You're gonna have to make a choice, Jim. You either let me in or you let me go because so help me, our daughter does not deserve any of this."

Jim avoided her eyes and that's when she received her answer. Barbara shook her head in disbelief and then stormed away.

That moment showed more than Jim just keeping a secret. It showed what the two would do for Skylar. And in the future, who would be willing to love her no matter what she did.

---

Short chapter! But I'm not going to push Skylar into an episode if she doesn't fit which is what happened in this chapter. If any of you noticed, there have been references to "the future" like you saw in the last paragraph. There will be so huge changes to Skylar's character that I know you guys will be interested in. What do you think will happen to her?

I hope you guys have a great day/night and don't forget to vote on this chapter, comment your thoughts, and follow me for updates!