eleven ; what he did for her

:・゚☆。•:・゚☆。•

chapter elevenwhat he did for her

chapter eleven ━ what he did for her

━━━━★✼☆。━━━━

❝ memories cut like knives ❞

━━━━★✼☆。━━━━

HER HEART POUNDED furiously in her chest. As soon as her weary eyes fell on the sign, welcoming everyone to the circus, it winking brightly in the night, Skylar nearly sobbed right on the spot. The circus Lee had tickets to, was Haly's Circus, the one and only place where Skylar's life fell apart. Her brother, her mother, the countless beatings, the endless tears and pain. It was all staring right in front of her. But in the face of the place she hated with every ounce of her being, what Selina told her came rushing back. If Skylar really wanted to show the world they had no effect on her, she'd have to push through everything, no matter how hard it was. So with each step she took, getting closer and closer, the teen forced herself to keep relaxed.

The Flying Graysons were one of many that Jerome despised. Just like every other person in the circus, they picked on the two any chance they got. When Skylar was three, Jerome had gotten her an ice cream cone with some money he stole from a few people during one of the previous acts. She was absolutely thrilled and hugged him to death, clutching his hand as they journeyed through the lines of trailers. Both brothers appeared out of nowhere and threw Skylar to the ground, her ice cream falling in the process. Jerome got so angry that he attempted to punch one of them. He didn't succeed and they went home, Jerome with a bruised eye.

Skylar's eyes twitched as she watched the Grayson family fly through the air with such ease. Jim offered her some popcorn to which she gladly took, surprising him in the process. His daughter usually put up a fight when food was offered. No one in the circus had seen her yet, and if they did, they didn't remember her. She hoped that she could sneak away at one point and go and find Jerome. But that only made her worry that Lila might have thrown him out as well. The thought was hard to deny.

What made the entire experience more difficult to live through was the smiles and affection Jim and Lee showed each other. Skylar felt out of place and awkward. Once again, she remembered how two people showing their adoration for each other was so foreign to her.

Everyone clapped in amazement once the Flying Grayson's act finished. Skylar did not and kept her sticky, sweaty palms in her lap. A scoff of disbelief was held back. The family deserved no appreciation. Her stomach churned as she forced herself to watch as her own father and his girlfriend (she supposed) clapped with the same wonder. Sickening.

Suddenly, a red car came out with clowns. The ringmaster whom she remembered fairly well looked rather puzzled. One clown got out and was drunkenly swaying, his face contorted with fury. It was when the clown stormed up to John Grayson and beat him over the head with a glass bottle when Skylar slipped away. Jim was too focused on the problem at hand to notice, as was Lee.