twenty-five ; the other side of paradise

:・゚☆。•:・゚☆。•

chapter twenty-fivethe other side of paradise

chapter twenty-five ━ the other side of paradise

━━━━★✼☆。━━━━

❝ i'll see you there ❞

━━━━★✼☆。━━━━

FINDING A WAY to move on was never easy. Grieving was never a positive experience. It was tough, excruciating, and there were times when you ask yourself why, why them. Twice now Skylar had watched someone she cared about die in front of her. One got stabbed in the neck, the other burnt to a crisp. Both times she witnessed the death. Both times she broke down. And both times, Jim Gordon was there, standing there, watching another person be ripped away from her and he did nothing to help. Though he did extend his apologies about Bridget, it didn't matter to her. Why was it that he got to keep his happiness and she kept losing her's?

She woke up before Selina did and got dressed in her usual outfit, seeing as she only owned one pair and then a backup if anything happened to the first. All of her previous clothes she gave to other homeless kids because she couldn't bring herself to wear any of the colorful shirts she used to have in her closet. It was the least she could do for kids that were in similar situations and were just trying to make it through another day.

The TV was on when she stepped into the study, a familiar boy standing in front of it, watching the latest news of Galavan becoming the new mayor. Her lip twitched with growing anger, her fists clenching, her eyes narrowing but then suddenly the television was turned off and the remote was placed down on the coffee table as Bruce turned to face her.

Skylar's fists unraveled as she smiled tensely, making her way over to him. He was the first to speak, looking surprised to see her there. His head tilted to the side a bit, curious. "What do you have against the front door?"

"It hit me on the way in last time so now I hold a grudge against it. The window is my new best friend," she replied back teasingly, making him laugh a bit, amused by her answer. "It's good to see you."

"Skylar, what are you doing here?" He asked, all trace of positive emotion gone from his face in an instant. "It's been a month since I last saw you with the whole. . ." His words trailed off when he saw her flinch a tad, eyes darting away from his face so he stopped what he was saying, knowing that was a bridge that was much too risky to travel over.

Acting as if he hadn't mentioned her deceased brother, Skylar moved on, brushing the words off her shoulders almost as she plastered a smile on her face. "You wouldn't believe the week I've had. So I met this girl named Bridget and-what the hell, do you like girly stuff now?" Her words had stopped when she had glanced over and seen what looked to be a purse or a wallet but it was blue with sparkly gems on the front.