Alexander

I got a strange letter in the mail. It wasn't from Eliza, or Lafayette like usual.

Eliza and I had been writing nightly for about 2 weeks. I was beginning to pick up vibes that she was into me, mainly because of a line in one of her most recent letters;

I'm single

Anyway, this letter proved to be different. First it was sealed with MAGENTA wax. Like... who does that? Not Lafayette. He probably seals it with spit. And Eliza doesn't seal hers at all.

I opened the letter, and was surprised it wasn't to a different "Alexander" at my address.

Dear Alexander,
Hi. Lafayette tells me a lot about you.
Who is writing to me? They're from France...
I'm actually hoping to meet you.
Maybe it's Veronica, and she isn't dead yet. I thought back, trying to remember if Laf mentioned her dying in any of the letters.
I hear you're winning the friend war by a couple of points. Well add one to that total, because I'd like to consider you a friend.
Works for me. If only I knew who I was talking to.
I must thank you for entitling the letters "Gilly". I hadn't know Laf's nickname and this is pure gold. I won't call him anything else now, and he's a giant ball of rage because of it.
I think Laf might've mentioned being upset that I said that, but I couldn't remember why, if he even did.
I hope you write back to me. It's quite boring in France, especially when Gilly isn't around. Being an ambassador isn't as fun as it sounds.
I tried to remember the French Ambassadors from America, but came up blank.
Well, ta-ta for now,
Sincerely, Thomas

Who?

I went through all the letters, knowing that this Thomas was mentioned, just not knowing WHERE. I was pretty pissed when I was going from newest to oldest, and he was mentioned once in the very first letter I had gotten.

"That Thomas?" I muttered. "If he's anything like me, he must be awful..."

Then someone tried to bust down my door. Or at least it sounded like it, because Hercules Mulligan has a serious issue with controlled knocking.

" 'sup guys!" I greeted John and Herc, Who were standing at my door.

"John got a fucking turtle" Hercules said bluntly. I then noticed the small green blob thing shimmying in Laurens' hand. It was unmistakably a tiny turtle.

"That's the cutest thing I've ever seen, and I've seen the feral cat Martha named after me" I told him, still staring at the turtle. They nodded in agreement, and John went into the backstory of how he got it.

"It was about to be eaten by birds, so I ran up screaming at them so they flew away. I picked it up and was like let's call it a gender neutral name so I decided to call it green"

"What kind of a name is that?" Herc judged.

"A gender neutral one" I argued. We laughed, and then started to make a cage for Green out of fabric Mulligan supplied, and wood we may or may not have stolen from Burr because he was out of town.

Pretty soon, Green had a snazzy little house at John's place.

"That's one mighty fine home" Hercules commented. John and I agreed. I looked up.

"Well I've gotta go mes amis. Lafayette is waiting for a response." I found it best not to mention Thomas or Eliza. That would result it too many questions asked.

"Alrighty-O Ham. Green will be waiting for you, along with me and Hercules" John laughed. I departed from them, heading in the general direction of my humble abode.
*****
Dear Thomas,
I wrote to him first for some reason. Maybe I was just intrigued with the new person writing to me. No offense to either, but Lafayette and Eliza had started to get boring.
I must say, if anyone is anything like me, they must be awful.
I decided to start again. I don't know why I cared so much about what this "Thomas" guy thought of me, but I didn't want to act like I had no self worth, even though I literally don't
Dear Thomas,
The new letter read. This would be better.
How are you?
I crumpled this up and threw is out the open window. Maybe I should consider burning it.
Dear Thomas,
I have to say, I'm surprised you ever found interest in writing to me. Mainly because it's been weeks since I was first mentioned. Regardless, it's nice to have someone other than Laf and Eliza to talk to. Especially someone who is
A) not hitting on me
And
B) "a lot like me" according to Laf
I really wanted to discard this one too, but if I continued doing that I'd never actually write to him.
There's a revolution starting in America. How long have you been away? You said you're an ambassador, but for how long have you been away?
This was getting too personal for people who don't know each others last names, so I decided to stop.
Welp. Good bye,
-Alexander