The Wolf That Lives In Lindsey (pt 2)

Lindsey and River leave early in the morning to do "wedding stuff" as Lindsey called it when kissed me goodbye. River didn't look too pleased to be stuck in the car with his father but Lindsey promised they would bond and he kept his word. The conversation was nonexistent as they were watching tv last evening so I am hoping it's not so silent today.

Olivia and I are doing a little wedding shopping of our own. Lingerie. I'm not the most open person about this topic. I think it's a very private and intimate thing that doesn't need to be discussed but she told me she wants something beautiful and tasteful. Beyond the wedding night lingerie, she needs a garment for under the gown which she and her mother have chosen.

She didn't miss a beat, seeing how upset I was that I wasn't in attendance. She told me she landed on the perfect dress quite serendipitously while she was antique shopping with her mother. There was a rack of vintage dresses and the white dress just happened to fit.

"I wish you could have been there too, but I think you're going to love it once you see it," she assures me and I force a smile, still completely gutted.

River had left her the car and though she wasn't too familiar with the area, I know my way around, being an avid shopper myself.

She drives just like I used to and now I understand why Lindsey was happy I gave up my license. She parks on the street, not quite fitting into the space she had chosen, and gets out in front of a small lingerie shop. There are white lace garments on the mannequins which I know must have caught her eye.

I feel a little awkward choosing lingerie that my son will see on his wedding night but as she wanted my help finding something special, I will try to put that aside. I'm just happy she didn't want something too revealing.

~~~

Lindsey's POV

River has been silent the entire drive into town. He grunts his answer to any question I ask. Every conversation goes nowhere. He stares out the window, bobbing his leg up and down.

"Maybe we will bump into your mother and Olivia after we're done shopping," I say, glancing over at him. He rubs his hands over his faded jeans, sighing heavily. My jaw sets. I'm tired of him acting like this. If he didn't want to go, he should have said so instead of acting like a child. Of course, he didn't want to upset his mother. I just want us to put this bullshit behind us and be okay. "Should I just leave you alone?"

"That'd be nice," he says finally and I huff, deciding to bite my tongue.

When we arrive at the menswear boutique, he gets out before I even park. He's already talking to the shopping assistant when I finally make my way inside. The girl is obviously flirting, twisting a tendril of her long red hair around her finger. She's smiling, looking him up and down. She bites her lip, dropping her hair and touching his shoulder. Stevie would kill me if she saw what kind of idiotic pride I had for my son. He's a hit with the ladies and always has been. He's kind, well built, has a lot of diverse interests and he's a good looking guy. What's not to like? But he's getting married and I want to make sure he doesn't get into any trouble. I walk over and wrap my arm around him.

"So, what color is Olivia thinking for your wedding tux?" I ask, looking right at the red headed temptress. She is pretty, that's for sure, and she knows it. She's the type of girl who has used her looks to get what she wants a million times.

She averts her gaze, moving toward her binder of fabric swatches. She lifts it from the desk, joining the two of us by a well dressed mannequin in an awkward pose. God, I hate these places. I wish Steph were here.

"River, right?" she asks and he nods. Poor sap probably doesn't even realize what she's doing. Her eyes are narrowed seductively and he leans in to look at the book with her. "I think grey would look he best on you. Those eyes are magnificent."