Chapter 4: The Struggle

Getting to Mackinac is going to be a hell of a ride. We're gonna need a boat. I wonder if they'll have any ferries for us to take....with all these cars and such.

Driving on a bike is nice since everyone is away from me. I can just think. We have to stop to feed my brother. Its a good thing we have formula and this weird baby food. We stopped at a CVS to raid food and such. Then at a gas station for more gas. I noticed that one of the bicycles on Phillips roof is gone. "You need to re-tie those bikes man....one of'ems gone." I mention. "Shit" Is all he says before walking to re-tie them down.

I filled the last gas can up and put it in Andrews Car. I walked over to Melanie who was holding my little brother making him a bubba. I took him and his face lit up. "Its gonna be hard keeping all of us alive......we are all just kids....but I have to do it. For Ryan and my Mother....for you guys who lost your families." I whisper to myself. I always thought of myself as a leader. Especially for this situation. I think if anyone would be leader it would be Andrew,Phillip or I. They look to us three for answers. I don't know if I can handle that type of responsibility on-top of caring for a six month old. I guess I'll have too.

I give Ryan back to Melanie so she can feed him. I walk back into the gas station to see Andrew and Britni making out. I smirk and walk into the bathroom. It smells like shit and I almost puke. I back out and grab a Gatorade from one of the fridges and drink it. It tasted so good. I run out of the gas station after hearing a scream. I ran to the back where it came from. "Somebody...Help!" I hear a female voice shout. I recognize it as Brittany's and I run to her. I see three drifters running after her. I pull out my Glock and shoot three rounds. Two land on drifters which then tumble and turn into crawlers. I run to the last one slipping out my cleaver. I hope this works. 

I raise it up and throw it into the last drifters head where it makes it mark killing it instantly. I use the glock in my left hand to finish off the crawlers. I pry my cleaver out and wipe the blood off. Brittany runs to me and hugs me. "Thank you so much. Honestly I would of died." She thanks me. "We cant afford to lose any of you. Even the midget" I say with a smile. She punches my shoulder and walks back to the front of the gas station. I walk back too.

"What happened?" Cole says. "Yeah...I heard a scream and gunshots" Phillip says. "Brittany was attacked by drifters. Which means there's a horde not to far from here. We need to go." I say. "I agree with Kaleb" Britni says. Everyone realizes the situation and we pack up. We need to find a place to stay soon.

Driving through Michigan we stumbled back into Midland. The heart of the whole ordeal. Hordes were in every which direction. But Cole begged to get a photo of our moms when they were younger. I plead too. The rest of the group granted us that wish. Now we were in Cole's house grabbing knives and food and that one portrait. We decided to sleep here. There were only two main entrances to block. One we shoved the couches in front of. The other we shoved the Table and chairs in front of. We pulled the blinds on the windows. Except for Coles room and Irenes room. We went in the basement where we found batteries and blankets and one other xbox 360. We hooked it up in Irenes room since Cole already had one. We played xbox until we fell asleep.

When I woke up I went to the bathroom. After that I traveled downstairs and peered through the peephole of the front door. I noticed 30 Zombies walking around aimlessly. Our exit was blocked.

After the others woke up I told them we would be traveling by roof. To fire off a few rounds. "Thats crazy dude" Andrew says. "Well, its the only way to distract them from the cars. We could then roof hop and get into the cars and leave." I explain once more. " I guess" Cole says. "Its the only option we really have" I hear Phillip say.

I open to window from Irenes room and pop out the screen. I step out onto the roof and quickly bolt across. I reach the edge where I jump without even considering my chances. I fly through the air before latching onto the edge of the second set of housings roof. I pull myself up and do it again. The others all stuck on the first roof. I ignore them while jumping onto the farthest roof I could. I latch on with one hand. I yell out. Bad idea. Hordes all turned towards me mouths drooling. I pull as hard as I could. I struggled to get up. But I did.

"C'mon you undead hungry things" I shout. I pull my pistol out and fire 3 rounds into one of the hordes. I run  over and jump to the next roof. I land on my feet. I get my pistol back out and fire four rounds into the horde. They are all focused on me now. "RUN TO THE CARS!" I scream. I squeeze a few more rounds off. I barely dent the massive horde gathered beneath me. The horde is pressing on the walls and some are even inside now. I panic. I run and jump off the roof.

I hit the ground with a thud. My M4 on my back slapping me hard. I slide the pistol into the holster and pull out the M4. I let it hang on the strap while using the cleaver to take a few drifters out. I see the trailer park and run for it. I don't worry about the others. I just want safety. "C'mon you undead freaks!" I scream at the horde. They have all followed me around the building and are pursuing me. I hope the fence to the park. I grab the M4 and switch to auto. I squeeze the trigger and release a lead shower into the massive horde. Bodies drop and undead trip over them. I bought some time. I run and reload. I jump through the window of the main office. I roll on the ground and feel shards of glass in me. I don't waste time.

I get up and run and jump through another. I am on the other side and keep running. I feel shards wiggle deeper into my skin. I have to hold it together. I see a trailer I aim at the window and fire a round to crack it. I kick this one in before going through. I'm in a kids room. "The Walking Dead" posters everywhere.

"how ironic" I think to myself as I take out the undead kid.

I look out the shattered window to see the horde now running at my location. I run through the trailer. I open the back door and take off. But there isn't a porch to step on. Instead I fall over the lack-of-ground. I fall on my stomach losing the air in me. I see a walker come to me 

I cant breathe but I still slide the cleaver out and slice at his feet with my glock ready.

**AUTHORS NOTE**

I  have taken an interest in The Walking Dead lately so now Instead of "drifters" they will be referred to as walkers.

**Story**