Chapter 45: Mid-Point

--Kaleb's Point of View--

Melanie must sense the rage eminating from me, because she holds my hands and does the one thing that can calm me down, playing with my fingers. Its a weird thing that calms me down and she knows it.

It helps just a bit, but I just pick her up and run. I dont want to waste anytime and let them gain anymore distance from her and I. 

--Phillip's Point of View--

"Phillip, get the hell up. We got places to be, walkers are on the rise. Let's goo" Hunter's voice alarms. I get up and put my glasses on. I re-attatch my vest. This is going to be a long day. Even more so since I lead the group now. 

"Hey, Andrew....I need to ask" I start off a few minutes later. "Yeah..throw it at me?" "Well, with Kaleb gone..leadi-" "Yeah, I'll help...just give me the look and I'll throw my two sense in"

I give him a brief hug and the crew and I start to walk down the road. The sites we see are crazy. The land has changed a lot in the last years. Some of the houses are shot up or completely leveled. The emptiness of the streets and the silence on the highways. Its breathtaking, yet horrific.

And the more we walk the more I dwell on Kalebs death. Somethings just dont add up, but I can't change it. I notice we are no longer in Florida and have entered Georgia. 

The day is cold, which makes the crew slower. "Phillip, if its winter...why in the hell are we going north?" Britni asks. I dont know how to answer her. "Well, if we were to stay in Florida we could've died with that nuke. And who's to say it wont get nuked again?" Andrew fills in. "We're going north to just escape"

--Kaleb's Point of View...current time--

"Melanie!" "Yeah?" "It runs...come here!" I shout to her. 

We've been searching garage's for a working car for about two hours now. "This will help us make up the lost time!" I shout to myself. I completely forget about my anger for the moment. I hop into the driver's seat and rev the engine just as Melanie takes her seat. The car, believe it or not, is a 1972 Racing Red Firebird, with red leather interior. Full tank of gas too. I just look at Melanie and she is just as happy as I am.

I rev the engine again and drive, I bust through the garage door and burnout barely gaining traction. We take off down the freeway towards Georgia, the only possible place they could have gone or be within the time alotted.

We hit  one hundred and twenty miles per hour down the freeway giving us both adrenaline rushes and tingling sensations in certain areas. I was never a car person growing up but if I had a favorite car its a firebird, especialy the '72. I feel lucky to have this.

"Oh shit walker!" Melanie screams, interrupting my thought process. I spot the walker and take it head-on. If I were to swerve at this speed I would kill us. So I take my chances and play chicken with this walker.

It gets closer and closer, the I hand Melanie my sword and have her stick it out the window. I switch lanes to avoid it and she cuts it's head square off. "That's what I call a drive by!" She jokes getting back into her seat and clippin her seatbelt into place. I exchange a high five with her before returning to the silence as we drive. "Any CD's?" She asks. I hit the eject button on the stereo and out comes a nickelback CD. "Perfect!" She says sliding it back in. 

I push the engine to one hundred thirty and focus on the road with some good music. Photograph by Nickelback is playing and Melanie and I sing along. I know deep inside I am still pissed off majorly, but I also start to remember things I shouldnt. Music has that kind of effect.

After about four hours.

I see them.

"Oh shit..is that them?" Melanie asks, turning the volume down as the song How You Remind Me  plays. "Yeah, that'd be them" I say quietly feeling the rage build up as I stare at the fellow I know as Hunter.