Chapter 59: Final Mistake

--Phillip's Point of View--

--just before Kaleb shows up--

"Melanie! Just answer, before we have to do something we'll regret." Stevie shouts. "Yeah come on, what did you guys do after you all left us?" I ask. 

"John what are you doing?" I ask as our other interrogator walks over to Melanie. "Are you and Kaleb in a relationship?" He asks her. "I wouldn't say that...but we have strong feeli-" John slaps her face and cuts though her shirts fabric. Then he rips it off, I start to feel uneasy since this is still one of my friends.

"John was that really necessary?" Stevie asks him. "Shut the fuck up rookie" John snaps back.

"Okay one more time Melanie. What happened? Why did the forest start burning? Were you trying to kill us in our sleep?" Stevie asks. Melanie leans in and spits onto the floor beneath Stevie. "Your mistake" He says, then he smacks her hard. She spits out blood just as the back door smashes down.

I turn around as John gets fucked up. I realize I am next just as my left ankle burns with pain, I reach down to grab it and stare at my attacker. I see his eyes through the ski mask. Kaleb. Then he lifts his gun and shoots my chest. I fall onto the ground and start saying my prayers as I know death is near. I watch Kaleb get rid of Stevie even after his attempt to reveal himself. I notice my gun and I reach for it so I can end myself faster, the pain is excruciating. I hear a gunshot and then my hand starts bleeding prefusely,followed by the pain.

He shot my hand. Luckily it's my left palm and not my right one.

I hear him shoot someone once more and then leave. I can hear my engine's distinct sound reverberate throughout the house before it drives off.

"John? Stevie?" I call out. "I'm good..he shot my chest and my thigh though..it fucking hurts man...what about you?" Stevie calls back. "Chest ,ankle and my left palm man...What about you John?"

"Quit bitching...take this" I feel something land on my back and I reach for it, I find it and pull it in front of me. "What is it?" "Just take it"

I slip the syringe into my wrist. I inject the serum into me and wait. I pull the syringe out and keep it for a weapon.

"Take it yet?" John  asks. "Yes...what is it?" Stevie asks him. "You should feel like a million bucks in about....now"

The words leave his lips just as my body starts to convulse like that of a seizure. It does this for about two minutes before I finally stop. I no longer feel any pain, so I look at my left hand. The blood is there...but I can find any wound. "What...what was that?"

"Regen serum" It only works once though...but I figured he would show up...he always does" John says softly. I see Stevie come up behind him and shoot me a look. So I stand up and distract John just as Stevie stabs his neck with the syringe needle and I run up and do the same.

We take him out really quick and leave him in a pool of his own blood. I look at Stevie and we take off outside the house. "Can you believe what just happened?" I ask him, he gives me a look "No...but we need to get a vehicle...he took yours" Stevie says as we begin to search for a car. "Wait...there was a motorcycle behind the house...John rode it here" I remember, we rush off to the back of the house and sure enough an all black street bike was perched against an oak tree.

"I'll drive...where do you think they went?" I ask Stevie. "After Cole...so we need to get to Midland"

With that we got onto the bike and I drove us towards Midland, where we had burned almost everything down. This street bike must have been tuned up well because the engine is quite yet we're still flying at one-hundred fifty.

Kaleb...if there is any chance of catching you before you make your final mistake.....we're on our way to catch it.

I look at the gas and we are running on a full tank which is nice since Midland is a little ways away.

--

"Holy shit" I say as I come to a complete stop before the city of Midland. "What happened here?" Stevie asks me "We told you about burning this city down right? Well if not....yeah we kind of did some work here" I rev the engine and we drive off towards the hospital.

--Kaleb's Point of View--

"Ryan! No!" I shout as he points the gun straight at Britni's head. Andrew is in a raging fit as Cole and his pony boys laugh their asses off. I start to frisk the area behind me and I find a shard of glass. I let it cut into my fingers as I cut through the bindings on my hands. I get the ropes off jsut as Ryan pulls the hammer back on the revolver. I take the rope in my hands and tackle Ryan down I wrap the rope around his throat and strip the gun from his hand. I turn to see Cole's men after me with their guns. I aim the revolver at Cole.

"Don't move...or I'll end his fucking life!" I shout hysterically. The men swarm me and one swings his gun's shoulder into my head. I feel the stinging pain as the warm blood drips down my face. I lay there as Ryan frantically pulls at the ropes. 

"Andrew!" I scream. Andrew kicks the man infront of him and tosses him off the edge of the roof. I aim and shoot at the second guy. He clenches his chest and drops to his knees. I pull the hammer back and run to my brother. I pull the ropes off and he inhales as much oxygen as he can. I then turn around and kick the third man as he nears me. I swing the butt of the revolver into his head. He drops and falls into a seizure. I aim at Cole and shoot his right knee. But he was also aiming at me with a shotgun. I hear the shot reverberate as I start to fall backwards.

I look to my left and see Melanie standing there in shock. I turn to my right and see Andrew and Britni. Britni screaming as I fall, Andrew holding his , now free, arms out as if to catch me. I take the pistol and throw it towards him.

Time slows down as the gun travels through the air. My blood infront of me as I am pulled to the earth my gravity. I see Cole drop to the ground from my gunshot to his knee. Then I watch Ryan let a few tears fall from his strained, red eyes.

This is my end.