Chapter 32: Comatose

--Kalebs Point of View--

After the knife entered me, I knew my perpetrator instantly. Melanie. I cried out in pain. She jumped up and out the door. Thats when the gunshot rang. 

I layed in my bed with warm blood flowing down my chest. I heard some footsteps outside my door followed by an "ANDREW!!!!" the scream belonging to Britni. I cried out once more and the door opened. "Britni" I gasp. "Kaleb? What...what happened?" "Its...Melanie......get Stevie.......you save Andy..I'll be fine" I say softly. The pain intesifying each moment.

Britni runs into the hallway and shouts out for Stevie. He shows up with his shotgun and a first aid kit at hand. He rips the knife out and begins patching me up. I can hear Britni crying and Andrew groaning. "What the hell just happened?" "I just got fucking shanked...and I'm almost positive he was shot" "By who?" "Melanie" "Well we'll get ya up and runnin again.....then we can find her and set her straight" "No.....I deserved this.....I just need to talk to her"

"No one deserves to be stabbed bro" "Well, I have been pretty shitty towards her" "That doest matter" "It does....you wouldnt get it man...just hurry up and fix me please" "You're good to go.....it might hurt" "Fuck it"

I hop onto my feet with my Glock tucked in the back of my pants. I walked onto the roof and seen her right away. "Mel?" "What...you should be dead" "Melanie...lets talk..please I have some explaining to do" "No......Its too late Kaleb" She pulls out the very pistol I had given her before. She aims for my leg. "Dont make me do this......I only have 6 bullets left" "Melanie....we dont have to use any of those" I pull my glock out. "Lets drop them....and talk" "No" "C'mon...we can just talk this out and pretend this all never happened?" "Ok.....on 3" "1....2.......3" I set my gun on the ground. This was a mistake.

I look up and she is pulling the trigger. I feel the bullet tear through my skin and muscle. It makes me drop to my knees. "Melanie.....C'mon..think about the others...how will they react to this?" "They wont....I'll be dead too" "No Melanie....you cant do this" "Watch me" She pulls the trigger again. The bullet hits my shoulder.

I lay in my own blood. "I'm sorry Kaleb, but you have hurt me or any girl..for the last time" "Melanie no!" She aims for my head and time seems to freeze.

I reach for my pistol and I grasp it before she has pulled the trigger. I aim for her hand quickly and squeeze the trigger. The bullet travels through the air.

--Andrews Point of View--

I heard a door slam. It woke me up instantly and I carefully got out fo bed to not awaken Britni. I reached for my knife and clenched it tightly. I slipped into the dark hall and spotted Melanie creeping into a room which I believe belongs to Kaleb. Slowly walking through the hall I peek through his window. He has just climbed into bed and Melanie hovers above him. I see the hand raise and jolt through the air and into his chest. She jumps up and leaves the room. "Melanie! How could you!" "You didnt see a damn thing" "The hell I didnt!" She lifts a gun and doesnt hesitate. I drop to the ground. Kaleb has just shouted out for help.

I see Britni. She just screams my name before I point to Kalebs door. She goes in and returns to me after a few. She holds my hand and calls out for Stevie, who goes to help Kaleb. I just lay there in pain before Kaleb walks out and up the stairs. Stevie rips out the bullet and its little fragments with no pain killers. I think I woke some people up with my shouts of pain.

Kaleb never comes back and I hear another gunshot. I hop up and head for the roof slowly. Then another gunshot goes off. I hurry up the stairs and onto the roof. Melanie has a gun aimed at his head. He lays there in his own blood reaching for his gun. I jump to tackle Melanie. I hear the shot go off and I feel the pain course through my body. I have my hands around Melanie and we fall through the air. 

--Kalebs Point of View--

I squeeze the trigger and Andrew intercepts the bullet for Melanie. He takes her into the air and off the roof. "No!" Is all I scream. But then the water splashes and I know they are alive. I lay there as Phillip runs up with the others. "What the fuck happened?" "Its a long story....Stevie...help" "Where're Melanie and Andrew?" "In the pool below us.....go check on them. Knock Mel out please...shes dangerous"

I slip out of consciousness from the pain.

I fall into a coma.

The dreams seem to never end. All the time I am walking through that hall with Phillip and Ryan.

--Phillips Point of View--

I jump off the roof into the blood stained pool below for Andy and Mel. Britni has joined me and she grabs Andrew. He is out cold and so is Melanie. I take her out of the water and drag her to my room. "What in the hell Melanie?" I ask her rhetorically. I lay her on my bed and grab a dog leash from Furball. I tie her hands together and to the bed post. "I'm sorry Mel, we cant trust you now" I frisk her body and pull two knives out of her pockets.

I join Stevie on the roof. "How is he?" "He's alive...but he is out" "He'll be up soon though....." "No...he is in a coma dude" "What?" "The pain of the gunshots let him slip into a comatose" "No.....no!" I shout at Stevie. "I know.....this is horrible...I dont know for sure, but he would of atleast woken up at the pain by now....but he hasnt even flinched" Stevie adds.

I just sit against an A/C unit and watch Stevie pull the fragments out of Andrew. Britni holds him the whole time. Andrew is awake but feeling down like Stevie and I. We just practically lost our leader. Which means Andrew and I have to take charge.

Jillian walks onto the roof and kneels beside Kaleb. "I'm....sorry, But if you can hear me. Today was going to be the day...that I decided to share a bed together again...just like the old times baby" She grabs his hand and holds it.

For a second it seems to be that his hand actually tightens its grip. 

I go back to my room where Melanie lay asleep still. I pull out my M4 and keep it trained on her.

She wakes up. "What happened?" "You almost died, and almost killed two good friends. What were you thinking?" "Kill me" "No" "Where is Kaleb?" "Practically gone.....in a coma" "he lived?" "Yes" "You need to kill me Phillip...if you value me as a friend!" "No....I dont care what you say"

The next week Melanie either refuses to eat, or begs for death. We leave her tied up. The walkers are within the mile and Kaleb still remains in comatose.