Chapter 10: A Cowgirl's Hat

He couldn't understand how he managed to score another date. I could tell just by the baffled expression on his face. 

     "Woah."

Clearing his throat, McCree straightened his belt and tipped his hat. "Hey there, cowgirl." I giggled, I knew he was just trying to hide his blush.

     "Hey, cowboy." I rolled my eyes, brushing the hem of my (f/c) dress rather flirtatiously. 

Jesse tensed, stuttering his words as he clicked the spurs of his boots together nervously. "I-I'm glad ya came."

     "Yeah, I almost bailed."

     "Wha—?" The southern man pouted, "If ya didn't wanna come, ya coulda jus'—!"

     "Jesse!" I tugged on his arm, "I'm just messing with you, lover boy." 

I didn't think it was humanly possible for a man to blush as red as he was. Truth was, I really only came out because Mercy told me it'd be for the best to make new..."connections." Then again, I didn't mind the outlaw's company. 

     "I got somethin' for ya," I looked up quickly, straining my eyes as I felt something warm press against my head. 

I reached up curiously, my fingers brushing against the soft fabric of a hat. I pulled it off to examine and gasped. It was trimmed with a nice leather, and embroidered with (f/c) jewels around the top. A horseshoe clip was attached at the very front. 

     "Made it ma'self," Jesse rubbed his neck bashfully. That is until I raised an eyebrow at him skeptically, "Alright fine, I had Ana help me. A pretty hat for a pretty cowgirl."

     "It matches yours, so are you saying you're pretty?"

Jesse's eyes burned, "I-I um, o'course not! I'm handsome, not pretty." He laughed, "There's a difference darlin'."

     "Oh, I'm sure there is."

     "C'mon now, I know a great diner down the road."

                                                                                      .   .   .

     "I had a great time, Jess." I looked away shyly.

     "O'course darlin', anythin' for a pretty one like yerself." He smirked, tipping his hat as he leaned in towards me.

The moonlight glinted off his eyes, illuminating his pale features. I chuckled nervously, stepping back slightly.

     "I think we'd better go," I scratched the back of my neck nervously. "I promised Hana and Mei I'd join their movie marathon tonight."

     "Aw, alright." The cowboy sounded disappointed, but a glint of mischief twinkled in his chocolate eyes.

I let him walk past me, his heavy boots thumping against the ground. I sighed, looking around before trudging after him. I really did have a great time. It's not like I didn't enjoy his company, I just...I didn't know.

I looked up at him, my thoughts swirling. I almost wanted this, and I knew Angela wanted this too. I smiled to myself, It couldn't be that bad, could it?

     "Ya like what ya see?"

     "Wha--? N-no!" I blushed, "I mean, yes?"

He turned over his shoulder and laughed, "That's not what yer face is tellin' me." He gave a gentlemanly smile, "Yer cute, ya know that?"

     "Am I?"

     "Yeah, ya are." He continued walking down the hidden path to Gibraltar, whistling quite flirtatiously.