Chapter 4: Southern Hospitality

"Well now, an' here I was about t'think you bailed on me!"

     "Of course not," I blushed as Jesse tugged playfully on my arm.

     "C'mon now, I had Angela set us up a little somthin'."

God, why did I agree to this? I let him lead me out into a large courtyard that sat in the heart of Watchpoint: Gibraltar. Lights were strung across the trees that lined the area, with the occasional candle and incense.

     "This is beautiful."

     "Ain't it?" Jesse smirked, "Though I haven t'admit, I had some help from Ana settin' up."

I let him pull out a chair for me, "Thanks." I murmured, sitting down quietly while fiddling with my thumbs.

     "Ya alright there?" McCree leaned over the table, hands folded.

     "Oh, me?" I rubbed the back of my neck nervously, "Y-yeah. I'm fine..."

We sat in silence for what felt like forever. "You seem a little down," Jesse reached over to take my hand as he got out of his chair. "C'mon, I know exactly whatcha need."

     "Jesse I--woah!"

He pulled me to my feet, leading me over to the farthest corner. I let him wrap my arms around his neck as he placed his signature hat on top of my head.

     "Cute," he smirked.

I bit my lip, trying my best not to look him in the eyes. I inhaled sharply as his callused fingers gently grabbed my chin, lifting my gaze to meet his.

     "I..." I swallowed hard as a faint blush spread across my cheeks. "Jesse, look...I need to--"

     "You don't needa tell me anythin'," Jesse replied quickly. "I can already tell whatcha thinking."

     "I'm sorry."

The cowboy let out a deep chuckle, "Don't be darlin', I just wanna see a smile on that pretty face o'yours."

     Jesse...

I sighed, casting my gaze down shamefully. "Ya wanna talk about it?" I hesitated, eyes widening slightly. "(Y/N)?"

     "What was he like?"

He seemed taken aback by the question. "What'd ya mean?" He pulled away slightly, blinking slowly.

     "What was he like," I repeated. "You know, during missions and stuff."

Jesse paused, "Well, t'be honest it's hard t'say." He let go of me to scratch his chin, "Kind of a jerk, pushed ya 'round lots."

     "Sounds a lot like him," I grumbled, drawing my hands down the cowboy's chest before letting them fall at my sides.

     "But I know he meant well, ya know?" Jesse chimed in, "I doubt he actually wanted us to get hurt."

     "You don't think, that maybe..." I hesitated, my voice cracking into fragments as I struggled to find the words. "There's a chance...that he might, you know?"

Jesse shook his head, brushing back his matted hair. The hopefulness drained from my eyes, "Heh, yeah. What was I thinking?"

     "He cared for you, ya know that?"

     "Wha-?"

     "Yeah, he was always complain' 'bout you." Jesse smirked, "(Y/N) this, (Y/N) that. Make sure she's safe Jesse!"

The southern man mocked the tone of the former Commander before bursting into laughter. "Aw geez, ya had the poor man on edge twenty-four seven!"

A small smile formed on my face, "So the big bad Edgelord did have feelings." Jesse laughed quietly.

     "He certainly did." He sighed, "See ya 'round cowgirl."

I rubbed my upper arm uneasily. Reaching out to grasp his wrist, I let out an exasperated breath. "Wait. Maybe, I'd like to do this again sometime."

     "Pardon?" He stared at me as if he saw a ghost.

     "You know, this." I bit my lip, "I wouldn't mind...hanging out, again."