Chapter 33: His Rage

"No!" Reaper's eyes blinked rapidly, his claws rubbing them furiously. He took her limp body in his arms. She felt so lifeless.

     "No, no, no, no, no!" he uttered, desperately shaking her lithe frame. "(Y/N), speak to me! Please!"

He held his claw over her chest and closed his eyes. No matter how hard he concentrated, nothing happened.

     "Come on!" he grunted. "Angela! Do something, damn you! Hurry! Help me!"

The angel's eyes widened before she looked away. "Gabriel...I...I can't. I'm sorry."

After a while, he sighed in defeat. It was no use. His eyes perked up when he heard a soft moan.

     "G-Gab...riel?"

He glanced down at her. Her eyes were open, but weary. Reaper smiled and gently lifted her head.

     "Yes, (Y/N)! I'm here!"

     "I feel so..." she said in a dry voice, "so..."

His happiness faded. "No, (Y/N)! Please! Don't leave me! Angela! She'll heal you! You'll make it! We can keep trying!"

He moved his claw to her face, but she stopped him with her hand. "No," she whispered.

Tears formed in the man's eyes. "Don't die, (Y/N)! I need you!  I...I can't live without you!"

She smiled up at him. "You'll have to." Gabriel held her tighter as she coughed. "They'll forgive...you. I...I know they will. Jack, you....you're friends, not enemies..."

He took her hand in his. "Don't talk like that! You'll live, (Y/N)! You must live! My life has no purpose without you! It always has. I...I forgot that for a moment. But never again, (Y/N)! I promise you! Just please! Live!" He clenched his teeth, "Forgive me."

(Y/N) looked at him solemnly and slowly reached her hand to his face. "I forgive you." She winced in pain. "Just know that...you are the only man I've ever loved."

Gabriel's eyes were wide as he ran his fingers through her hair. "I'm no man, I'm not even human...not anymore."

She struggled as she rose and kissed him softly on the lips, "You are...to me."

He felt her hand slipping from his face and Gabriel watched as (Y/N) closed her eyes and collapsed in his arms. For the first time that day, he actually felt he had a heart. The heart that shattered into millions of pieces.

     "No," he uttered. "No. No! NO!" Reaper shook her, but she did not respond. Finally, he buried his face in her neck but said nothing. His shoulders trembled, and every vein in his body seethed with uncontrolled emotion.

The others looked at the heartbreaking scene. Jesse removed his hat as Angela put her arm around him. Lena cried into Ana's shoulder while Genji put his hand to his heart and looked away. The others shared embraces and wiped away their tears. Jack's eyes went wide before he stepped back.

     "Gabriel...I...!"

     "No...! NO! NO!" The ground almost shook as he let out a bloodcurdling cry. Black smoke swirled around around the broken man. His head twitched slightly, and a crazed look flashed in his scarlet gaze.

He had never hated anyone more then he hated Moira O'Deorian. He hunched over, groaning and grunting as he held his face. Anger fueled him now, he let any sanity he had left slip away. He was a hollow shell of hatred, and a lust for blood. She had taken away, the one thing he had left of his humanity. The one light he had to brighten up his darkened heart. He was going to make her suffer. He was going to make her feel the same agonizing pain she made him feel now, and all those years ago.