Chapter 11: Convictions

"Sooo, how was your date with Jesse?" Hana was sprawled out on her bed. She leaning over the foot of the bed with her chin resting on her hands and feet swaying back and forth behind her. 

     "I dunno," I shoved a mouthful of ramen Genji had made, into my mouth.

     "Seriously?" She slammed her fists on the bed, "Girl! He's a package!"

     "Don't be like that Hana," Mei whispered. "You know she still misses—"

     "No," I shook my head. "Angela's right, it's time I moved on from Gabriel."

Hana gasped, only for a bright smile to form on her face. "O. M. G!! I ship it!" She jumped up ecstatically, "Jesse and (Y/N), sitting in a tree!"

   "He does like you," Mei smiled. "I'm happy for you."

     "Hey (Y/N), what's that?" Hana pointed towards a pile of my pajamas in the corner of the room.

     "I mean, I was going to change into those for the movie but—."

     "No silly! The paper!" 

My attention turned towards a paper shoved in the pocket of my sweat pants. I set the bowl of noodles down before crawling over to it and picking it up. I unfolded the document and grunted, chewing on my lip in thought. It was the paper I had "borrowed", from Morrison's office.

     "Ooh! I love conspiracy theories!" Hana leaned forward, almost falling completely off the bed, "What's it say?"

My eyes examined the words, slowly making their way to the photo at the top corner. It looked so familiar, now that I thought about it. My eyes widened, "The Reaper?"

     "Oh, spooky!" Hana whispered dramatically, waving her hands.

Then it hit me. The picture was scratched out, but I could just faintly make out the hem of a trench coat and a splotch of smoke in the bottom right corner.

     "He's...?" I recognized him immediately. My eyes lingered towards the writing at the bottom, "He's a...terrorist?"

     "T-Terrorist?" Mei let out a soft squeak of alarm.

My heart squeezed itself, and I suddenly got chills. The man I had met, the man I had talked with in a freaking bush, was a terrorist? 

     "Whaaa—?" Hana gasped, "Yo! I heard old man 76 talk about him before!" 

Everything else was scratched out, especially his real name which was completely blotted out with ink. That section of the paper even seemed torn. We all jumped at a knock at the door, but relaxed when we realized it was just Angela.

     "I brought blankets!" She smiled, "And some fruit salad."

Hana gagged, "Ergh, but  that's so healthy!" We all laughed at her reaction, "What?" She frowned.

     "I'll have some, Dr. Ziegler!" Mei reached up and grabbed a strawberry, relishing in its sweet taste.

     "Hey Ange!" Hana suddenly yanked the document from my hands, "Who's this?"

The doctor squinted to read the writing before inhaling sharply. "Where did you get that?" Hana immediately pointed towards me. 

     "I-I found it," I stammered. "I didn't mean any harm, I swear!"

Mercy sighed, "That's a file that's supposed to be locked away in Jack's office." She carefully took the paper from me, "In the restricted section."

     "But who is that?" Hana whined.

She seemed reluctant to answer, but eventually Angela cavern into the gamer's pleas. "The Reaper. He's a leader of Talon, and very dangerous. It is said he's hunting every last remaining Overwatch agent."

Mei squealed, hiding beneath her blanket causing Snowball to wake from his charging station. Angela sighed,  "Jack's been hunting him down for ages. Please girls, if you ever see him, stay far away from him."

     "But, What's his real name?" I spoke up, curiosity at its finest.

     "Uh—?" Angela hesitated, "I um...don't know." 

She bit her fingernail nervously before backing up towards the door, "I beat be going, I'll return this to its proper folder."

     "Wait—!" I followed her out into the corridor, "Angela!"

At the sound of my voice, she quickened her pace but I wasn't going to let her go. "Angela, please!" 

I grabbed her wrist, pulling her back and snatching the paper from her hands. "Who is he?" The doctor froze, almost afraid to answer my question. "Angela!"

     "(Y/N)," Angela whispered.  

     3rd POV

Angela sighed. She didn't know what to do. She couldn't tell her, she couldn't bear the thought of breaking her heart. Of taking the last thread of hope the girl had left.

     "Like I said, he's just another bad guy among the many others we've faced." Dr. Ziegler gripped (Y/N)'s shoulder gently, "Do not worry about it, it is not important."

It was obvious (Y/N) didn't believe her, but she noddd anyway. Her (e/c) eyes were skeptical, but she's let it go.

     "(Y/N)?" Dr. Ziegler tilted her head.

     "I'm fine," (Y/N) whispered. "I'm just thinking, that's all."

Angela nodded before turning around and striding down the hall, leaving (Y/N) to her thoughts. She just stood there, staring st her feet quietly. Eventually she fell to the side, slumped against the wall with her eyes half lidded. 

She couldn't pinpoint it, not even a little, but she just felt betrayed. Betrayed by Soldier, and now Reaper. She clenched her fists, nails digging into the palms of her hands. A strange feeling of regret and hate boiled up inside of her. 

(Y/N) knew it wasn't wrong, but something made her want to hurt 76. To break his bones and force him to experience the same pain he made Gabriel feel. The same pain she felt herself. There's had to be a way to get him alone, so he couldn't get away. Just like Gabriel couldn't get away.

And Reaper, why would he lie to her? Or at least, why didn't he tell her? Thank God she got away when she did, he probably wanted to slaughter her right then and there's in the bushes. But he didn't. 

     Your POV

I leaned against the wall, burying my face in my arms. My mind was flooded with so many emotions, it was almost impossible to handle. He even said, if he wanted to kill me, he would have. 

     "You better watch out old man," I mumbled beneath my breath. "I swear...I'm going make you hurt."

     "(Y/N)?" Mei's soft voice sounded behind me as the door to Hana's room opened, "You coming? The movie's about to start."

     "Huh?" I snapped out of my trance before smiling faintly, "Oh, yeah. I'm coming."