Chapter 31: Moira's Vengeance

Ugh, where am I? My head...it feels so stuffy. My body, why does my body feel numb? I slowly opened my eyes, only to find myself lying on the cold floor. 

     "Wha-? Wasn't I just...outside?"

I groaned, getting onto my hands and knees. "Ugh, Jesse?" I blindly looked around, feeling the cold ground in front of me. "Where...?"

I screamed as a large hand yanked me off the ground by my shirt, and slammed me into the wall behind us. My vision blurred as my head hit the steel with a sickening thud. I tasted the tangy flavor of blood accumulate in the back of my mouth as I looked up to see who it was.

     "You..." I wrapped my hands around his wrist as his claw tightened around my throat.

     "Oh let the poor thing go."

I hit the ground with a thud, landing on my side before looking up. "Oh, look who it is. Ms. Nutjob herself."

Moira raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. She raised a hand, causing Gabriel to turn and exit the room. The door slammed shut, leaving only the two of us.

     "Where's-?"

     "The cowboy and ninja are safe and sound. We couldn't even find the old grandma."

     "Why I outta-! Ugh," I struggled to stand up. In fact I couldn't. 

A pain shot through my side. So painful it almost made me hurl. "Why? What's the point of all this?" 

     "Excuse me?"

     "Don't act dumb..." 

Moira smiled, giving a light shrug. "And why him?" I clawed at the ground beneath me, "Why Gabriel? Reaper, whatever you call him?"

     "I always did hate you," she growled.

     "Well geez, I never fancied you either lady."

     "You're a fool," she growled. 

I watched her circling me, hands folded behind her back. I scooted back, holding up an arm defensively while propping myself up with the other.

     "We all start out the same, bearing the same naive trusts." She stopped, "That's the one weakness you've always had. Gabriel always protected you, he always shielded you from the unfairness and injustice of the world."

She turned her head to glare at me, "You relied to heavily on him. You never learned, the hard way."

     "Moira, I didn't mean-"

     "Quiet!" I flinched, whimpering quietly as her tone of voice. "What's the best way to get back at the injustice Overwatch put upon me? Hurt them from the inside, just as they hurt me. Open up your eyes, (Y/N). See where I'm coming from. I was abandon, left behind. By my friends, family and the one I cared for most." 

     "The one you...cared for the most?"

     "Gabriel never did anything to sway Jack into changing his mind. Instead, he helped him shut down my research. He helped him destroy my life!" She clenched her fist, fury burning in her eyes like fire, "And you...oh how he looked at you. The damn fool was so smitten, he didn't think twice about betraying me. So what do I do?"

I flinched as she stroked beneath my chin. I grunted, shaking my head as she gripped my face. "I hate Overwatch, and I hate you. So I got to thinking; Why not cause her the same pain I've been forced to feel for the rest of my existence? How it feels to be rejected and left for dead?"

     "You still didn't answer my question," I growled, shaking my head from her grasp. "What the hell does Gabriel have to do with all this? Why'd you erase his memories and not Jack's?"