02. Holy Hell Fire

"So, what was he like?" Poppy asks sauntering over to me in a pair of daisy duke denim shorts and a white tank top illuminating her tanned complexion. She serves me a glass of white wine. Or at least I think it was a glass...

I give her the look causing her snigger "My measurements are different from yours. Suck it up and just drink it."

Eyeballing the fishbowl like glass, I accept it and take a generous sip before sighing.

"He's a massive douche."

A crack of laughter escapes from her lips as she sits in the sun lounger beside me. "Is that all? Not, hot, muscular, well defined, drop dead freaking gorgeous?"

"Nope. Just a douche." I settle with a nod.  Okay so he might be a little good looking and his eyes are totally to die for. But his attitude stunk, therefore, Twat-Waffle.

"So he's nothing like what he is on TV?"

"Hell knows, I just know he doesn't like having me on his show. Told me I'm on trial, which is pretty damn pointless as he has no ruling of my contract and that if I blink in his direction wrong, he'll dump my ass in the Arizona desert." I recall causing Poppy to gulp at her wine.

"Sounds like a ball buster." She mutters flicking her blonde hair over one shoulder.

"Well my lady balls are a little harder than a few threats and some seriously bad attitude."

She clicks her finger and points to me with a nod "That is true. Harriet Winslow found that out."

"Well she was a bitch anyway." I answer, recalling Harriet who whilst in high school stuffed Poppy into a locker. Claustrophobic Poppy had a melt down and when I heard her screams and found Harriet holding the door...

Well let's say my reaction cemented mine and Poppy's friendship... For life.

"What's Jack said about it all?" Poppy asks "Is he okay with you being away with a group of guys for a week or two at a time?"

I scoff and take a large sip again. "This large glass was a good idea."

"So that's a no. I thought he would be happy for you."

"Jack is... He's indifferent at the moment. He's glad I'm earning money or on the way to earning money, but he's also disgruntled that I'll be away and I'll be on TV."

Poppy's head whips over to me "Disgruntled?! Why? You're hot as hell! He should be proud!"

I shrug "Guess it's to do with men watching me, it's weird because he's never been protective before but now he wants to act all cloak and dagger."

"I don't understand men. I never have." Poppy replies scrunching her face to look up at the sun.

"I find that hard to believe, what number boyfriend are you on now?" I tease.

"Bish... So when do you leave?"

"Tomorrow. Hence the emergency meeting although I think Zak was just trying to get me to stay in Vegas. Didn't happen though, the network went in favour of me. Although I think they're expecting a phone call to say I've had my ass ditched in the desert."

"You'll be alright, by the time you get in with the rest of them, Zak will have no choice but to fall into line. You're not some axe wielding murderer."

"I know. But he has his reservations and he's allowed to have them. I don't have anything to prove to him, I just have to have patience. Some people are stuck in their old ways. Once he sees I'm not there to work against him, he might just let up."