34 - The past comes knocking.

"Delilah! I'm leaving now!"

"I-I'm almost ready!" I call back as I hop around trying to put on my shoe when I stumble into the couch and flyover the back of it.

Laughter erupts from my chest as I hang upside on the couch, both feet in the air whilst Gracie sniffs at my face to make sure I was alright.

Zak's laughter catches my ears and I look down or rather up to my feet to see him waiting with his hand outstretched. "Come on, let me help."

Taking his hand, he pulls me up and off the couch until I was stood beside him, fixing my clothes and hair whilst I continue to giggle.

"You good?" He asks moving some of my hair making me nod.

For the past week, I had been at Zak's house. Sleeping in his spare room and keeping my head down. I had become the perfect house guest, I made us both food daily and walked Gracie whilst he was at the museum.

I never knew the gaping hole which sat in a home, until I experienced life with Gracie for a week. The little Collie had filled my time and attention for the past week, with her walks and games of fetch. At first she was shy, uncertain about a strange woman entering her home and taking up one of the spare rooms, but by the third night, she came tottering into my room, sniffed my hand and snuck up on the bed, where I instantly welcomed her with open arms.

Now we were inseparable and complete trouble for Zak.

"We won't be long Gray." Zak spoke ruffling her fur as we headed to the door.

"Bye babe. I'll bring you something back." I whisper down to her.

"No she won't. You'll be 60lbs and unable to move." Zak replied making me pout.

He grinned and pulled me along whilst tucked under his arm.

"Not even a little trea–"

"No."

"You're no fun."

"Neither is dog obesity."

I rolled my eyes at his annoyingly but true point and slipped out into the garage.

He went to the museum everyday, whilst I stayed at his home or tagged along depending on how busy he'd be.

Climbing into the truck, I pushed my back into the footwell and looked over to see him fixing his hair in the interior mirror.

"Oh stop, you look great." I spoke pushing a piece of his hair into its position.

"I have to, I can't be looking grubby beside you..." His eyes go over my face "You're amazing. Always. Jack is an idiot, but hey, it was my gain."

I smile widely and peck him on the cheek "Vegas charm is here today, I like it."

He gave me a wink before the roar of the engine sounded and we appeared from the garage and headed to the museum.

The kissing front was in full swing, he stole kisses when I least expected it and woke me up with them if I had fallen asleep on the couch or beside him when we watched films. But we hadn't broached any physicality. He hadn't thrown me down on a bed, tore my clothes and devoured me like a Wild West Tarzan.

But there was always time for us now, no worries or guilty feelings. We were growing.

+++

At 10am, nobody was here at the museum, it didn't open until 1pm and staff didn't arrive until 12pm. Which meant myself and Zak had the run of his museum to prepare exhibitions and sort things out.