19- Delilah's Solo.

"All walkies to channel one." Zak demands as we stood in base.

The night had fallen and we were now locked in. All the X-cameras were set up, all the cases were open and the equipment they wanted to use were at the ready. All we had to do was conduct this investigation...

Things were still tense between myself and Zak, all I wanted to do was grab him by the scruff and shake him in anger. The whole day today he'd made it his personal vendetta to piss me off by giving me all the jobs I struggled to do.

Like fly the drone without a spotter.

Even Billy, after all the practise he had, has a spotter. But me, with very little, wasn't allowed any help. In the end and after countless attempts, Dakota came to my rescue. Against Zak's orders to set up the cameras with Jay. Something Billy was doing as well, whilst Zak text on his phone and Aaron took photos of the building.

"Right, Jay, I want you to be at nerve, this is a huge building and I need to know I have someone watching all the cameras. Take Mike with you so he can listen with the boom mic set up in the ball room."

Both men nodded and took their seats behind the desk watching the monitors.

"Aaron and Billy, I want you two to investigate the grounds of the building, we only have access via the back door. Take the thermal, do a sweep and see if you can find the lone soldier that's said to roam the fields."

"I'll start in the upper bedrooms with the spirit box." He concludes.

"And me?" I ask.

He smirks "Get comfortable. You're at base."

"What?"

"Let's go guys, we got things to do and rooms to investigate." Zak spoke clapping his hands to signal the end of the conversation.

I shook my head and grabbed a camera before leaving base with a digital recorder stuffed in my pocket. I ignored Zak's request to get back to nerve and soon slid into one of the rooms, off camera.

He was an asshole, and I'd happily sit here for the next 12 hours than have to put up with listening to his voice filtering back to nerve.

+++

I don't know how long I've been here, or what I've been doing. But the light in the room temporarily blinded me as it was flicked on and the worry I saw in Zak's face disappeared.

"Delilah. What the fuck? I've been calling you for ages."

"And?" I ask hugging my knees.

"And we were worried. We've searched the whole building, why are you in the corner?"

I scoff and clamber to my feet. "Like you give a damn. You want me to sit out for investigation, if that's the case then why even bring me? I could have stayed at the rental or even at the hotel with Dakota. He would have been better company than you!"

He frowns.

"Ever since I've started you've been hell bent on making me feel awkward and out of place. Like I don't belong and it sucks. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were jealous that I might be capable of doing your job." I shoved his chest with my hand eliciting a growl of annoyance.

"Oh go growl somewhere else." I throw in before heading off to base. A little confused on if that outburst was out of the blue, or if it had been a long time coming..