25- The Final Chapter Begins

When I wake up, I'm met with a cool breeze across my face from the window that's been left open. I don't remember opening it myself, so presume it's the work of Zak. Yawning gently, I undo my belt and look around to see Zak stood at the back of the pick up.

For him to be out the car, I presume we are here. Getting out, I approach him slowly, seeing him in some trance. People use that saying 'miles away.' Only I think he really was. But as I get closer, he snaps out of it, taking away my opportunity to see him in a different light.

"Hey."

"Hey."

There's silence between us as I wait for him to speak, but when it doesn't happen, we go again.

"Hey."

I giggle "Hey... Again."

"Are you okay?" I ask moving to his side to see what he's been looking at.

He nods. "Yeah. So we are here to film our last chapter of this place."

His hand swoops up in gesture to the building. The Washoe Club.

But instead of wanting to burst with excitement and be a part of something that he grew from the ground, I feel sadness and instantly take the hand that's at his side.

He lowers his head and shakes it gently before squeezing my hand back.

"It's okay to feel sadness. To show emotion. I won't judge you."

His hand drops mine and he folds his arms in a protective stance "I couldn't give a fuck if you did. You haven't been here for 5 minutes so you wouldn't have a clue about any of this."

"Zak I–"

"Why are you even here anyway? You haven't been much company the whole way down here and you are nothing but a fucking tease. Drunk or not, that guy had a point!"

His answer is harsh, his tone is resentment, but instead of fuelling the fire and snapping back, I simply pinch my lips together. This was his way of coping, lashing out.

I'm no psychologist, but I had a feeling that by him snapping back gave him a little more control than what showing emotion would. Emotion equals a weakness in some men's eyes...

From what I knew, and I maybe wrong. But this was the first time they were coming back to Virginia City, after the Murder- Suicide of Debby & Mark.

I knew each and everyone of them would have some emotions bottling up and maybe spilling out, I just had to remember not to take anything to heart.

Nodding my head, I back away. "I'll leave you alone..."

Removing myself from the situation is better than forcing myself into it. I didn't know Zak that well to demand anything from him. I didn't know how he coped with emotions, maybe he was someone who fought them, maybe he stewed in them? Hell maybe he didn't even care for them?

But this has changed him. I could see it in him, before the rest of them had arrived and maybe he wanted to be here first to deal with whatever he knew was impending. That if he dealt with it now, then he wouldn't appear weak in front of the rest of them.

I went to the front of the truck, not a huge distance, but enough for him to know that I was there if he wanted to talk, or not. But it was also because I had no idea where to go, so staying close by meant that I wouldn't get lost or be left behind.

+++

The sun was blazing down on me, making each and every inch of my skin burn as I led on the front of the truck, sunbathing.