41- J.C - Ain't No Grave

"You look like deep fried shit." Bacon told Zak as he threw him a hold-all of clothes.

"Thanks man."

"You're welcome. How is she?"

Zak shook his head. He didn't know, since Jack had upset her, both men had been kept out the room and no matter how many times Zak tried to find a nurse or a doctor, he was simply asked to return to the family room and wait.

"She's still in I.C.U. I don't know anything else." He replied.

Bacon looked at Zak with sympathy "Why don't you head home? Take a na-"

"I can't leave. I won't."

Bacon held up his hands "Okay. Okay. But at least take some time to get yourself some food."

Zak dismissed the idea and got to his feet before stripping out of his clothes. He was glad Jack had disappeared around first light, he didn't want him here. He knew that Jack was the reason Delilah went into a panic, but he didn't quiet know why.

After swapping his clothes, Zak used the bathroom attached to the family room to brush his teeth and used the cap Bacon had brought to push over his  unruly hair.

Once he came back out, he sat down beside Bacon who was texting. "I told Aaron, hope you don't mind."

"No, him and Delilah are close."

"That's what I thought. He looked after her whilst you still had that thorn in your side." Bacon replied.

"I wasted so much time trying to hate her.... Bacon what if—"

"She's going to be okay man. You wait and see. She will have some witty remark and some badass attitude to follow. The woman's a fighter."

Zak nodded in agreement and used the power bank to charge his phone up.

"Have the police spoken to you yet?"

"Yes. Hey man, you couldn't do me a favour and make a copy of last nights CCTV. They will need a copy and sooner the better."

"No problem."

"Also can you see if it's caught on the parking lot camera."

Bacon nodded again.

Zak was rummaging through his bag when he pulled out a small sachet. He smiled slightly "Breakfast."

"Oh dude come on." Bacon complained watching his Boss tear the sachet corner and begin eating it.

"It's peanut butter, it's protein."

"I know that but still, that's not enough to keep you going."

"It will do for now."

Bacon rolled his eyes "Well just say the word and I'll get you proper food. Same goes for Delilah, hospital food is mush."

Zak shrugged "I've had some nice food before."

"Each to their own."

They were both discussing the events that had unfolded last night when the door opened and a nurse in lavender scrubs smiled "Zak?"

He got to his feet "What is it? Is she okay? Please tell me she's okay. I can't de—"

"She's asking for you."

The relief that hit his chest, felt like someone had blown fresh air into his lungs after being starved from oxygen for so long.

"Ring me if you need me." Bacon spoke before exiting the room with Zak, taking his hold-all with him.