Purplephone - "First Encounter"

On the VinScott side of things, during high school, Vincent was kind of a slacker. He coasted his way through high school, cheating off of the smart kids, dating girls left, right, and center, and not really caring about anything or anyone other than himself. Girls thought that attitude was hot. Every day, as you walked through the halls, you could hear the whispers about Vincent and what he did to various girls the day beforehand. Scott, however, was the smartest kid in school. He was the one who got copied off of, and he was everyone's main tutor. At least he got paid for it.

Trudging into his English class, Scott sighed. It was Homecoming season, which meant dances, pep rallies, and an influx of girls following Vincent around like homeless puppies, trying to be his date. Scott examined his English class' desk arrangement. Two desks were sitting next to each other in their usual rows, which were smaller now considering the double up on desks and chairs. 
"Mr. Cawthon," His teacher's face, usually bright and cheery, was now saddened for her star student. She knew that this pairing wasn't fair for Scott, but she hoped that she could turn him around. "You'll be sitting in the second row, the first seat on the left." Scott nodded and set his books and binder down, proceeding to sit down in his designated chair. 

Little by little, the students trickled into the classroom, sitting in their seats that they were given. Most were sitting next to their friends, some were sitting by their enemies. Either way, every desk had a student in it except for one. And it happened to be the one next to Scott. Scott knew the class roster by heart, knowing all of the slackers, people who act dumb because their friends are in the class, the ones who have bullied him in past years, etc. His heart plummeted into his stomach. Of all the people he had to be paired with- 
"Sorry I'm late," Vincent sauntered into the room, blowing a kiss to a girl who walked with him to class. "I got...held up." The room gently erupted in snickers as the class continued their Romeo and Juliet projects. The goal of the project was to choose a scene from the play and recreate it, making it modern, and then perform it in front of the class. "Hey...S...am?" Vincent tried to remember his desk mate's name. 
"Scott. Nice try, Vincent." Scott didn't cease to look up from his packet of project instructions. Slowly, Vincent turned to his packet and looked through it, discreetly glancing up at Scott every once in a while. All these years, Vincent knew he was flexible with his sexuality. He's dated a couple of guys in his time. But deep down, with all of his dates, he didn't take them seriously. They were just flings. And this was the exact reason why. Vincent crushed on Scott hard. It may not have been the first time he's seen him, but this is the first time Vincent truly acknowledged Scott's existence. Something told him that he'd have a great time in his English class, this year.